Roguelite? Metroidvania? Roguevania!
You grew up with the roguelikes, witnessed the rise of the roguelites and even the birth of the roguelite-lites? We’d now like to present for your consideration our roguevania, the illegitimate child of a modern roguelite (Rogue Legacy, Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, Spelunky, etc.) and an old-school Metroidvania (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and its ilk).
- Roguevania – The progressive exploration of an interconnected world, with the replayability of a rogue-lite and the adrenaline pumping threat of permadeath.
- 2D Souls-lite Action – Tough but fair combat, more than fifty weapons and spells with unique gameplay, and of course, the emergency panic roll to get you out of trouble.
- Nonlinear Progression – Sewers, Ossuary or Ramparts? Once unlocked, special permanent abilities allow you to access new paths to reach your objective. Opt for the path that suits your current build, your play style or just your mood.
- Exploration – Secret rooms, hidden passages, charming landscapes. Take a moment to stroll the towers and breath in that fresh sea mist infused air…
Interconnected levels and progressive unlocking of access to the island provides you with a real incentive to explore your surroundings. Add in a degree of evolution for your character and permanent weapon upgrades and you can see where Dead Cells borrows from the long line of Metroidvanias that precede it.
At the end of the day though, it’s YOUR skills as a player that matter most! Roguelites are about constantly getting better, until what was an insurmountable obstacle becomes a walk in the park. Unforgiving combat wed to the absence of any kind of safety net makes for an adrenaline pumping ride each and every run and unrivaled replayability.
Dead Cells left Early Access on August 7, 2018 and comes with:
- 13 Levels – Each one with its own atmosphere, foes and secrets to discover.
- Four Bosses – Made by the most sadistic of the developers, raised on the salt of the testers.
- 90 or So Weapons and Skills – Spears, swords, bows, freeze blast, etc.
- Four special powers, unlocking new areas and paths (Metroidvania gear lock items).
- One epic responsive, fluid and fun to play combat system.
- One Daily Run Mode Complete with leaderboards for lording it over your mates.
- Hours of fun (depending on your skill, anything from 10 to 30 hours or more).
- A few rage-quits… OK, a lot of rage quits… But you’ll git gud… Eventually.