Heart Shaped Games will release science-fiction turn-based tactical RPG We Are The Caretakers for Xbox Series and Xbox One later in 2021, the developer announced.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
We Are The Caretakers is an afrofuturist squad management RPG. Assemble an arcane team of protectors in squad-building systems inspired by Darkest Dungeon, Ogre Battle, and XCOM. Defend the endangered animals your world relies on in strategic turn-based combat. Define your approach to a global resistance by balancing your reputation, funds, research, animals and alliances. We Are The Caretakers is a challenging strategy RPG fusion that asks you to protect a planet by fighting for the people, animals and ecosystems that inhabit it.
- Afrofuturist Universe – Former Activision-Blizzard artist Anthony Jones brings breathtaking afrofuturist style and human empathy to a complex sci-fi world.
- Reputation System – Every action affects how others see the Caretakers. Do they fear you? Or will they support your quest to protect the endangered Raun, and decide the fate of the world?
- Turn-Based Encounters – Balance force with diplomacy in an innovative turn-based combat system. Live with the consequences as you deal with the messy reality of animal conservation.
- Squad Building – Assemble up to nine squads of characters with diverse traits, weaknesses, abilities, and personalities. Train and upgrade your Caretakers across over 20 unique job classes.
- Grow Your Headquarters – Meet leaders, research technologies, and recruit allies in your science-fiction headquarters. Balance their conflicting demands to save our world.
- Nuanced Narrative – In our morally-complex world, the individuals outside your squad matter as much as the rangers you deploy on each map.
- Generated Wildlife – The challenging and procedurally generated survival mode brings never-ending ways to play.
- You Get a Baby Raun – It will nuzzle against your bed long after it grows too large to reasonably do so. It is adorable.
Watch a new trailer below.