Bo: Path of the Teal Lotus is a hand-drawn 2D adventure platformer based in a colorful world of Japanese folklore. Use your legendary bo staff to bounce and move fluidly through a delightfully-demonic East Asian fever dream. Use the tight movement and reset system to reach areas efficiently and gracefully or recover chaotically while floundering for footing.
Fluid jumping, bouncing and aerial / acrobatic movement, and combat is taken to a new level of flow and complexity and becomes central to the game play.
The chaos that ensues when the platforms and enemies become more varied and unpredictable. We want players to remember that this game looks challenging, and that you always need to stay on your toes and react quickly to find a way to stay afloat.
- A familiar 2D side-scrolling action platformer that merges classic hand-drawn animation and scenery with new atmospheric bells and whistles that make the experience wondrously novel yet cozily familiar.
- Tight platforming controls. Bo feels amazing to control and players will feel great agency as they enter a flow state navigating the challenging platforming challenges.
- Explore a mysterious world! The world of Bo: Path of the Teal Lotus is open and interconnected. Explore everything from haunted bathhouses to a thriving Japanese-inspired metropolis. Find ways to travel back to areas that you thought you explored fully and unlock new paths and surprises.
- Gather and collect ingredients and relics. Mine the valuable resources in the Kagayaki Cave or harvest bizarre flora in the vast forests of Bo’s domain.
- Unlock powerful new abilities! Brew and drink arcane teas to unlock Bo’s shapeshifting staff abilities. Including the Mochi Mallet, Blossom Dash, and the Grappling Gun.
- Daruma doll sidekicks! Collect daruma dolls throughout your journey to tune your abilities and give you advantages (or even disadvantages) in unique ways. All daruma dolls begin with 1 eye filled in. They can be upgraded to a two-eyed daruma that enhances the original daruma’s perk. These loveable daruma dolls will be by your side throughout your journey.
- A large cast of bizarre and adorable yokai (monsters from Japanese folklore), as well as original characters based on Japanese cultural archetypes. All of these characters and enemies are brought to life with traditional hand-drawn 2D frame-by-frame animation. Help them with their side quests or just stop by for a chat and a cup of tea.
- Epic Boss Battles! On your journey you will encounter many massive monsters from Japanese folklore. Use your gained knowledge and skill to vanquish them and advance further in your quest.
- Beautiful hand-drawn and immersive areas and landscapes with traditional Japanese inspired trimmings.
- An absolutely gorgeous original score composed by Moises Carmago, that beautifully blends traditional Japanese instrumentation with modern orchestral music.