Publisher Atari and developers Adamvision Studios and SneakyBox have announced Centipede: Recharged for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC (Steam, Epic Games Store), and Atari VCS. It will launch on September 29 for $9.99 with support for English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese language options.
The re-imagining of the arcade classic will support 4K resolution at 120 frames per second on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, and support for up to 240 hertz on PC.
Atari VCS users can also enjoy exclusive Challenges and full support for the new Atari Wireless Classic Joystick.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
The original bug-blasting arcade game is back! Centipede: Recharged has been reimagined for modern gameplay, with vibrant visuals designed for modern screens, a 16:9 field of play, and an original soundtrack from award-winning video game composer Megan McDuffee.
Aim for a high score in the old school arcade mode and earn bragging rights with your name at the top of the leaderboard. Or test your skills and rank on the boards in one of 30 intensely creative challenges, which twist the gameplay in new and exciting ways.
A dozen new power-ups can give you an edge by introducing abilities like screen-clearing explosions, rail guns, and even slowing down time. Every mode and level is playable in local co-op mode with a friend.
- Old Meets New – Classic Centipede gameplay updated for smooth control, and visuals for modern PCs and consoles.
- Powered Up – A dozen power-ups are yours for the taking—scare enemies away, catch them off guard with a side-shot, drop a row of bombs, and more.
- Challenge – Compete in a series of 30 challenges designed to put even the most seasoned players to the test.
- Compete – Reach the top of country global leaderboards for arcade and individual challenge modes.
- Bring a Friend – Play local co-op with a friend in every mode .. blast bugs and chase scores together.
- Get in the Groove – Get into the rhythm of a good run to the original score by Megan McDuffee.
Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.