The original Save me Mr. Tako: Tasukete Tako-San was released in October 2018 and pulled from digital storefronts back in October 2020 after original publisher Nicalis and developer Christophe Galati parted ways. Users who already own Save me Mr. Tako: Tasukete Tako-San will have to purchase Save me Mr. Tako: Definitive Edition to receive the new content.
“Last year for the game’s two year anniversary I announced that I had parted away with my former publisher Nicalis, resulting in the game being removed from the stores (Steam and Nintendo eShop),” explained Galati. “Because the game was delisted and is now under a new publisher, we are unable to patch the existing game and instead need to deliver it as a new title. Unfortunately this means anyone who previously purchased the original game will still have to purchase this new version to enjoy all the new content. I contacted both Valve and Nintendo to see if I could do a special discount for players with the original version in their library, but unfortunately it’s impossible. I wish things would have gone differently, but otherwise the game would have stayed stuck in its original and flawed form.”
Limited Run Games also announced it will publish a physical edition of Save me Mr. Tako: Definitive Edition “on consoles,” with more information to be announced at a later date.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Dive into a great adventure in the Game Boy era!
In a world where humans and octopuses are at war, Tako is a pacifist little octopus who rescues a woman from drowning one stormy night. A fairy sees this act of bravery and grants him the ability to survive on land. As he travels across the world, Tako defies his family and his people to try to resolve conflicts between Humans and Octopuses, plunging him into the very roots of this dysfunctional world.
Tako will solve puzzles, turn enemies into platforms by spitting ink at them, explore mysterious dungeons, and fight tenacious bosses on his mission to end the war between the undersea Octopus kingdom and the terrestrial Human realm. Will you help this brave octopus to spread his message of tolerance and teach both species to coexist in peace and unity?
- Designed as a tribute to the original Game Boy—looks, sounds, and plays like a long-lost cartridge.
- Six worlds to explore.
- 50 different hats that Tako can acquire and wear to gain special abilities.
- Extensive character dialogue with many unique and memorable NPCs.
- Side quests, puzzles, mini-games and 16 different dungeons to explore.
- Multiple player-selectable palettes to change the game’s color scheme.
Definitive Edition Features
- New difficulty modes and rebalancing of the original game.
- Hint system, auto palette option, and more quality of life improvements.
- Sound system to listen to the soundtrack composed by Marc-Antoine Archier.
- New border images and additional content.
Read more about the game here.