Sony Corporation showcased an video comparing the performance of PlayStation 4 Pro and the next-generation PlayStation using Marvel’s Spider-Man during its Sony IR Day 2019 corporate strategy meeting in Tokyo Today.
Here are a few choice quotes from Sony Corporation president and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida:
- “To ensure PlayStation will remain the best place to play, Sony Interactive Entertainment will work on maintaining and improving its relationships with third-party developers.”
- In explaining the seamless nature of PlayStation, Yoshida used the phrase, “Anytime, anywhere, without interruption.”
If you missed the specifications reveal back in April, read more about the next-generation PlayStation hardware here. While a release date has not been announced, Sony has stated it will not launch before April 2020.
Watch the comparison video below.
Thanks, @mochi_wsj (2, 3).
Update 9:52 p.m.: Here are a few additional details from a Sony press release:
- The two keywords for the future direction of PlayStation are “immersive” and “seamless.”
- Next-generation console: “Immersive” experience created by dramatically increased graphics rendering speeds, achieved through the employment of further improved computational power and a customized ultra-fast, broadband SSD.
- PlayStation streaming: Through the evolution of “Remote Play” and “PlayStation Now,” provide a seamless game experience anytime, anywhere.
- Remote Play: Turns PlayStation 4 (PS4), which is expected to reach 100 million units in cumulative sales this calendar year, into a streaming game server, providing streaming content at the closest point to users.
- PlayStation Now: Provides immersive game experiences to users regardless of whether they own a PS4 console at all.
Sony will pursue its mission to make PlayStation “The Best Place to Play” by leveraging the latest computing, streaming, cloud, and 5G technologies, together with excellent content.
- As part of these efforts, Sony agreed to a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) to collaborate on the development of cloud solutions, including game streaming services.
Update 11:00 p.m.: Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan discussed more about the next-generation PlayStation during his Sony IR Day 2019 presentation:
SIE Believes in Generations
- We will harness the power of new technology to offer completely transformative and immersive gaming experiences.
- We will leverage Backwards Compatibility to transition our community to Next Gen faster and more seamlessly than ever before.
- We provide stability of environment for content creators.
What we have said so far:
- All-new CPU, GPU
- Backwards compatibility
- 8K support
- Disc support
- 3D audio
What we have not spoken about yet:
- Release date
- User experience
- Country rollout
The Critical Role of PlayStation 4
- Will remain the engine of engagement and profitability for the next three years.
- Will provide the fertile early adopter gamer base critical for next-generation success.
- Outstanding roster of exclusive AAA games still to come (The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima).
SIE Believes in Gamer Choice
Mainstream Business Model:
Role of Streaming in Next-Generation
Our vision: A massively enhanced PlayStation community where enriched and shared PlayStation experiences can be seamlessly enjoyed independent of time and place – with or without a console.
Using Partnerships to Achieve Scale
- We will leverage existing and new partnerships to achieve growth and scale faster than ever before.
- This follows the model successfully followed in growing our PlayStation Network business.