The latest set of details on Gust‘s new PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita action RPG Yoru no Nai Kuni details protagonist Arnas’ ability to transform, her various weapon changes, and introduces two new characters.
Get the details below.
The Power to Defeat Jayou
In order to protect Lyuritis from the Jayou, Arnas must throw herself into battle. She’ll do this by putting her subordinate demons to work and taking the fight in various directions.
- 1) Summoning Subordinate Demons – Fight by summoning subordinate demons. You use SP when you summon a demon, but it is also possible to summon multiple demons. There are a number of strategies you can play out depending on which subordinate demons you summon.
- 2) Direct Your Summons, Use Special Skills – Arnas can give instructions to her subordinate demons, such as “Fight together!” With good instruction, you can launch a number of regular attacks, and you can even use your summons as decoys. Additionally, subordinate demons also each possess their own special skills that the player can trigger.
- 3) Arnas’ Attacks – Of course, Arnas also has her own light, heavy, and special attacks that she can use with her carried weapon. When you land one attack after the other, it’s called a “Chain.” There are a number of benefits to chaining, such as building up your “Transformation Gauge.”
- 4) Transforming – When your Transformation Gauge is filled, you can trigger your “transformation.” Doing this, you’ll borrow the power of your subordinate demons to transform into something entirely different.
- 5) Changing Weapons – Arnas will have various weapons she can change between, each with their own different features.
Blood Awakening = Transformation
Transformation is Arnas’ trump card. In her transformation state, she is able to attack enemies with ultra powerful force.
Arnas has various transformations, which vary in appearance and ability. Outside of her appearance, both Arnas and her subordinate demons see big changes, but that’s transformation’s biggest appeal.
- Breaking the Boundaries – In the transformation state, your attack range is wider, you move at higher speeds, and you can pull off actions that normal-state Arnas could never perform.
- Subordinate Demons Powered Up – Arnas’ transformation brings about status boosts for her subordinate demons, as well. You’ll know that they’re powered-up by the new auras they’ll wear.
- Transformation Gauge – Pictured in the lower left of the screen, this is filled as Arnas and her subordinate demons continue to attack enemies. Build it up to its highest and you can transform.
- Subordinate Demon Formation and Transformation – For transformation, your form will change depending on your subordinate demons’ formation. If you take ‘which’ types of subordinate demons along, what form will Arnas transform into? The trials and errors of subordinate demon formation is part of the fun.
There isn’t only one form Arnas can transform into. What other forms and abilities is Arnas hiding within? Find out more in a future update.
By transforming her own blood into a weapon, Arnas can fight Jayou enemies alongside her subordinate demons. There are various forms of weapons Arnas can wield, which you can switch between depending on the battle situation. Additionally, when you change your weapon, your subordinate demons also change, but…
- Weapon: Sword – Arnas’ starting weapon. It’s well balanced in both speed and attack range, and useful in any situation.
- Weapon: Rifle – A rifle that shoots bullets. You can use it to increase the attack power of your subordinate demons, as well as shoot bullets to restore HP.
- Weapon: War Hammer – A giant hammer even bigger than Arnas. It’s slow, but its attack power is high, and it can be used to brush away enemies.
- Unlocking New Weapons – As Arnas levels up, she’ll unlock new weapons for use.
Subordinate Demons Changing Based on Your Weapon
When you switch between weapons, depending on the weapon you use, your subordinate demons will be endowed with new abilities. With each demon’s unique characteristics, Arnas’ instructions, and now her weapon changing, these join together to offer new abilities that change up the strategy of battle.
- Change When Using the Rifle: Total Vanguard – When you equip the rifle, your subordinate demons approach the enemy assertively and protect Arnas. As vanguards, they hold back Jayou so Arnas can safely attack from a distance.
- Change When Using the War Hammer: Stun Attack – When you equip the war hammer, your subordinate demons are able to stun enemies with their attacks. With the enemy stunned, Arnas can use the war hammer to deliver a mighty blow.
Constantly-Changing Battle Strategies
Considering subordinate demon formation, transformations, weapon characteristics, each weapon’s additional abilities, and so on, the game’s strategies will continue to change in various forms.
- Transformation, Subordinate Demons, and Strategy – The changes in Arnas’ and her subordinate demons’ abilities during the transformation state cannot be compared to their normal state. You can give preference to the form and abilities of the transformation you want, as well as choose your subordinate demons, allowing the player to create their own style of play.
- Weapon Changing, Subordinate Demons, and Strategy – With weapon changes, the breadth of battle is widened. Enemy size, type, and quantity, as well as the terrain, combined with your subordinate demons’ additional abilities and your weapon’s special traits, must be considered when thinking about how to most effectively defeat enemies.
- Subordinate Demons’ Skills and Strategy – Just like Arnas, her subordinate demons also have HP and SP, which allow you to use special skills. Each demon has their own special skills that players can activate.
The formation of your subordinate demons have a significant impact on your transformations and play style. It’s not complicated to think about—if you want to fight with Arnas, if you want to fight entrusting the battle to your subordinate demons—from here, you make your own special formation and battle direction.
- Formation Example #1: Arnas Leads – The player defeats all the enemies, leaving recovery and support to the subordinate demons.
- Formation Example #2: Leave It to the Subordinate Demons – Entrust the battle to your subordinate demons, while Arnas focuses her attention on providing instruction and support.
Wood Golem (Defender Type)
A subordinate demon who was originally a great tree. Using its large stature, it acts as a shield for Arnas. Its special skill is a war cry that draws in enemies.
Bisque (Tricky Type)
A mischievous subordinate demon. It’s young in appearance and can warp from a distance to set up looping punches and barriers.
Christophoros (voiced by Tomoyo Kurosawa)
The masked “Pure-Blooded Ghost” who dwells the opera house. She wields a baton, plays an orchestra of ruin, and invites those who listen to death. She often appears before Arnas with advice, but her reasons for doing so are currently unknown.
Simon (voiced by Masaki Terasoma)
A hotel manager and cafe master. He is always wiping down cups and glasses, and offers drinks to visitors at the perfect timing. The hotel is under the influence of the curia, and given Arnas is a holy knight, Simon plays a supporting role to her as was ordered to him. Simon has a quiet composure and provides Arnas and company tender cared support.
Premium Box (8,800 yen)
- Yoru no Nai Kuni official visual book
- Yoru no Nai Kuni original soundtrack (two discs)
- Special Arnas 3D card
- Extra-large Arnas bath poster
First-Print Run Bonus
- A code to download something for use in the game.
Yoru no Nai Kuni is due out on August 27 in Japan.
Gust is planning a Yoru no Nai Kuni live stream tomorrow.
View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.