Update #2: Famitsu and Namco Bandai have since confirmed this to be a PS Vita game. There is no PlayStation 3 version.
Update #1: Both Famitsu and Dengeki PlayStation feature the game this week. Famitsu says it’s a PlayStation 3 game, but Dengeki lists it as a PS Vita title. One magazine is ill informed. One of the screenshots, however, shows R and L buttons on the screen, suggesting Dengeki is right in that it’s a PS Vita game.
Original Story: Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Battle Pentagram is in development for PlayStation 3, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.
In development at Artdink and published by Namco Bandai, the 3D action game has daytime sequences where players can enjoy conversations with the Puella Magi and raise their bond levels, and nighttime sequences where players battle witches, the results of which affect your partner’s bond level. Magica Quartet is supervising the game’s original scenario.
The following characters are confirmed to appear:
- Homura Akemi: Has the ability to manipulate time and wields firearms.
- Mami Tomoe: Uses ribbon magic and guns for a long-distance advantage.
- Madoka Kaname: Her weapon is the arrow of light. When she’s in a pinch, Kyubey will come to her assistance.
- Sayaka Miki: Uses a sword for short-distance, but has high mobility and attack speed.
- Kyoko Sakura: Wields a spear for short to mid-range attacks.
The game is due out in Japan in winter 2013.