“We want to be as transparent as possible, and despite the game still being in early stages of development (pre-alpha), we wanted to showcase the current state of Alterborn,” Iron Lung said in an update.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Alterborn is set in a grim, lawless world permeated with death and destruction, corrupted by an antediluvian force. You’re an Alterborn, one of the last survivors that eluded demise at a terrible cost. Through the eyes of some, you are no longer human but rather an abomination corrupted by something unknown that is slowly taking over. Constantly tempted by the allure of Phantom power, will you cling to your humanity or delve into the dark nature of your inner self?
- One of a Kind, Foreboding World – Embark on a dangerous journey, roaming a vast, bizarre wasteland filled with otherworldly fauna and flora, unlike anything you have ever seen before and uncover all its mysteries. The world is steeped in dark humor and does not play by any rules. Most of the time.
- Intrinsic Battle of Two Natures – All progression systems reflect the duality of being an Alterborn, forcing you to constantly make difficult but meaningful choices. Fine-tune your playstyle by embracing the power of the Phantom and acquiring powerful new abilities or preserve your Humanity, mixing and matching countless unlockables such as varied, extraordinary guns, armors and traits.
- Forge and Break Frail Alliances – Your actions do matter and impact the world around you. The Shattered Lands are a brutal, unforgiving place of no heroes, just survivors willing to do whatever it takes to live another day. Will you trust anyone in this crazed, unstable world or use them for your own ends only to discard them when the time is right? The choice is yours.
- Altered State – Explore handcrafted Metroidvania-style levels with your surroundings changing in real time before your very eyes. Some parts of the world have been completely engulfed by the Plague, creating a conduit between life and death: the Altered State. As an Alterborn, you’re able to shift into and out of this otherworldly dimension filled with mysteries and roamed by dreadful Phantoms.
- Phantom Form – Embrace the Plague, unleashing the power within and temporarily transforming into an all-powerful Phantom, completely changing your playstyle and gaining access to a plethora of abilities that will greatly aid you in combat. But beware, as you succumb to being a Phantom, your humanity slowly slips away.
- Corruption – The Plague consumes everything it touches, leaving its mark in the form of Corruption. Alterborn gameplay systems are all inherently dualistic, enforcing the player fantasy of being slowly but steadily corrupted by an unnatural force. You can choose to combat the Plague by cleansing the world around you or pursue its power by corrupting your gear, upgrading your Phantom Form and more.
Watch the footage below.