Outriders surpassed 3.5 million unique players worldwide in its first month (April 1 to May 1), according to internal data announced by publisher Square Enix and developer People Can Fly. It is “on track to become the company’s next major franchise,” the publisher said.
“With over 3.5 million unique players, average play times of over 30 hours and extremely high engagement for co-operative play, we and the amazing team at People Can Fly are so excited with this initial success,” said Square Enix External Studios co-head of studio Jon Brooke in a press release. “Launching a new game IP is never easy and we remain very grateful for the community’s support and feedback—we continue to listen carefully and want to assure everyone that we are committed to improving and enhancing the experience in the coming weeks and months. We also look forward to expanding on Outriders in the future.”
Outriders launched for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store, and Stadia on April 1. It is also available via Xbox Game Pass for Console and Cloud.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Outriders is a one to three-player co-op RPG shooter set in an original, dark and desperate sci-fi universe.
As mankind bleeds out in the trenches of Enoch, you’ll create your own Outrider and embark on a journey across the hostile planet.
With rich storytelling spanning a diverse world, you’ll leave behind the slums and shanty towns of the First City and traverse forests, mountains and desert in the pursuit of a mysterious signal.
Combining intense gunplay with violent powers and an arsenal of increasingly twisted weaponry and gear-sets, Outriders offers countless hours of gameplay from one of the finest shooter developers in the industry—People Can Fly.
- Intensity of a Shooter, Depth of an RPG – Outriders‘ brutal and bloody combat combines frenetic gunplay, violent powers and deep RPG systems to create a true genre hybrid.
- A Dark and Desperate Journey – Discover the hostile planet of Enoch as you embark on a journey to the source of a mysterious signal.
- Dynamic One to Three-Player Co-Op – Play single-player or join up to two friends in drop-in drop-out co-op as you tackle the horrors of a hyper-evolved planet.
- Four Unique Classes – Create and customize your own Outrider and choose from four unique classes each with its own skill tree to define your own playstyle.
- Scavenge and Adapt – Customize and upgrade your Outrider with countless items of mod-able guns and gear, as you leave humanity behind.
Watch a new trailer below.