Publisher Feardemic and developer Unfold Games have delayed the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and Switch versions of DARQ: Complete Edition from their previously planned December 2020 release window to early 2021. The PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC versions will launch in December as planned. An exact date will be confirmed in the coming weeks.
Users who purchase DARQ: Complete Edition for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One will receive a free upgrade to the optimized version for PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series throughout 2021. The next-generation versions will offer 4K resolution support, higher performance specifications, and are completely separate products from the current-generation versions.
A physical edition for all platforms is planned for release toward the end of the first quarter of 2021.
The final downloadable content for DARQ—“The Crypt”—will also be made available for free to PC owners who have purchased the base version of DARQ on Steam and GOG simultaneously alongside the release of DARQ: Complete Edition.
Here is an overview of DARQ, via its Steam page:
Help Lloyd Wake Up!
DARQ tells the story of Lloyd, a boy who becomes aware of the fact that he is dreaming. To Lloyd’s misfortune, the dream quickly turns into a nightmare and all attempts to wake up end in failure. While exploring the darkest corners of his subconscious, Lloyd learns how to survive the nightmare by bending the laws of physics and manipulating the fluid fabric of the dream world.
Wall Walk, Stealth, and Puzzles
Apart from gravity-defying puzzles, Lloyd will have to use stealth when nearby enemies. He has no chance of winning in an open confrontation, since the creatures he will encounter are much more powerful and faster than him. Instead, he has to rely on careful planning to avoid getting detected.
- Psychological horror set in a lucid dream, relying on slow build and creepy atmosphere rather than gore and violence.
- Unique art style and detailed environment to explore.
- Sound design by Bjorn Jacobsen, known for his work on such games as Cyberpunk 2077 and Hitman.
- Puzzles that involve bending the laws of physics (walking on walls and ceilings) , manipulating the dream world (moving things, rotating rooms), collecting and using found objects, and avoiding enemies.
- Hidden secrets to find (optional, for hardcore players only).