Publisher Square Enix and developer People Can Fly have delayed Outriders from its previously planned holiday 2020 release window to February 2, 2021 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam. The Stadia version is due out later in 2021.
Users who purchase Outriders on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series version free of charge.
Additionally, Square Enix announced that Outriders will feature full cross-play and cross-generation multiplayer across all formats, meaning that players across PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Stadia will be able to play together.
“We’re very happy to announce that we can offer full cross-play support and a free next-gen upgrade plan for Outriders players,” said Square Enix External Studios co-head of studio Jon Brooke in a press release. “The great thing about this system is that even if you’re not picking up your PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X quite yet, we’ve got you covered and there’s no need to wait. If you buy the current-gen version of Outriders, we’ll give you the next-gen version for free.”
Square Enix External Studios co-head of studio Lee Singleton added, “We’re taking a little bit longer to ensure players have the best possible experience with Outriders, we’re also including new features like cross-play which will make our game much more accessible on all platforms.”
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Outriders is a one to three-player co-op RPG shooter set in an original, dark and desperate sci-fi universe.
As mankind bleeds out in the trenches of Enoch, you’ll create your own Outrider and embark on a journey across the hostile planet.
With rich storytelling spanning a diverse world, you’ll leave behind the slums and shanty towns of the First City and traverse forests, mountains and desert in the pursuit of a mysterious signal.
Combining intense gunplay with violent powers and an arsenal of increasingly twisted weaponry and gear-sets, Outriders offers countless hours of gameplay from one of the finest shooter developers in the industry—People Can Fly.
- Intensity of a Shooter, Depth of an RPG – Outriders‘ brutal and bloody combat combines frenetic gunplay, violent powers and deep RPG systems to create a true genre hybrid.
- A Dark and Desperate Journey – Discover the hostile planet of Enoch as you embark on a journey to the source of a mysterious signal.
- Dynamic One to Three-Player Co-Op – Play single-player or join up to two friends in drop-in drop-out co-op as you tackle the horrors of a hyper-evolved planet.
- Four Unique Classes – Create and customize your own Outrider and choose from four unique classes each with its own skill tree to define your own playstyle.
- Scavenge and Adapt – Customize and upgrade your Outrider with countless items of mod-able guns and gear, as you leave humanity behind.
Watch a new trailer below.