Microsoft has shared more information on Xbox Series X’s Smart Delivery feature in a new Xbox Wire post.
As previously announced, Smart Delivery allows users who purchase a game for Xbox One to receive the Xbox Series X version of that game at no additional cost when it becomes available. This will support both physical and digital games “if the developer or publisher decides to implement it.”
Microsoft shared a few scenarios in which Smart Delivery will work across generations with the games and console you may own now or in the future:
- Gears 5 – If you own Gears 5 or are loving it via Xbox Game Pass now, you can play it today on Xbox One. Then, if you pick up an Xbox Series X this holiday, all it takes is a push of a button to download it and you’ll have the Optimized version of Gears 5—available on day one at launch with the console—at your fingertips.
- Halo Infinite – When Halo Infinite launches alongside Xbox Series X and Xbox One this holiday, you only have to buy the game once and you’ll get the best version for whichever console you own, or both. If you pick up Xbox Series X for your living room, Smart Delivery will recognize that and deliver you the Optimized version there. If you decide to move your existing Xbox One to a bedroom or the office, Smart Delivery will recognize that too and deliver that version when you’re playing on Xbox One.
- More Titles – Lastly, some new and existing Xbox One titles will be Optimizing their games after the Xbox Series X launches. For example, if you buy Cyberpunk 2077 when it launches on September 17, you’ll be set to explore Night City on Xbox One. If you pick up Xbox Series X at launch this holiday, you can play it there too in compatibility mode, picking up exactly where you left off. Then, when CD Projekt RED delivers an Xbox Series X Optimized version of Cyberpunk 2077, you’ll automatically get upgraded once it’s available at no additional cost.
Xbox Game Pass titles that implement Smart Delivery will also be supported. Outside of first-party Microsoft titles, it will be up to the individual developer or publisher to determine whether to take advantage of it.
Additionally, Microsoft confirmed that your game progression from Xbox One will carry over to Xbox Series X, so you will not need to worry about losing any progress.
The following is the initial list of new and existing titles that will be Optimized for Xbox Series X and confirmed to support Smart Delivery, which will grow in the weeks and months leading up to Xbox Series X’s launch:
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
- Call of the Sea (Raw Fury)
- Chorus (Deep Silver)
- Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt RED)
- Destiny 2 (Bungie)
- DIRT 5 (Codemasters)
- Gears 5 (Microsoft)
- Halo Infinite (Microsoft)
- Metal: Hellslinger (Funcom)
- Scarlet Nexus (Bandai Namco)
- Second Extinction (Systemic Reaction)
- The Ascent (Circle Entertainment)
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 (Paradox Interactive)
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Sega)
Xbox Series X is due out this holiday.
Watch a new trailer for Smart Delivery below.