“[Our] Kickstarter campaign will help them to get more funds to finish the game and cover the costs related to the animation, production, and development,” Petoons Studio said in a press release. “Funds will be critical to complete the project without compromising the art and quality.”
Here is an overview of the game, via Petoons Studio:
Curse of the Sea Rats packs all of the best features from the metroidvania genre featuring beautiful 2D hand-drawn animation and 3D environments, combined with unique real-time combat mechanics, and of course, lots of rats!
Explore the island, battle diabolic creatures, and fight brutal bosses commanded by the evil pirate Flora Burn. Forge your own path to freedom in a non-linear quest through the vast and mysterious coast of Ireland in 1777.
- Classic hand-drawn animation like the golden era of Disney and Don Bluth.
- A perfect mix of 2D models crafted on a 3D game environment for a 2.5D side-scrolling platformer experience.
- Explore a huge map with hundreds of rooms, in a non-linear quest, solving puzzles, and fighting enemies in the coast of Ireland in 1777.
- Four playable characters, jam-packed with weapons and special abilities to upgrade.
- Discover all the secret rooms, special items, and multiple endings.
- Single-player mode: more than 12 hours of gameplay for the main quest
- Local Co-Op Multiplayer mode: up to 4 players.
- Spectacular intros and animations to discover the story behind the characters.
Curse of the Sea Rats is planned for release across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam.
Watch a new trailer below.