Bandai Namco has announced Scarlet Nexus, a new RPG franchise developed by its Bandai Namco Studios and led by former members of the team that developed the Tales of series. It is currently only confirmed for Xbox Series X and Xbox One, with support for Smart Delivery. A release date was not announced.
“The next generation of video game home consoles lets the development team realize the full potential of Scarlet Nexus,” said producer Keita Iizuka in a statement on Xbox Wire. “Players can expect visuals and psychic battles with high resolution and frame rate along with fully interactive real-time battles with dynamic animation. Utilizing Smart Delivery on Xbox Series X also means players can enjoy the best version of Scarlet Nexus regardless of whether they are playing on the next generation with Xbox Series X or Xbox One.”
Bandai Namco America senior brand manager Stephen Akana added, “Scarlet Nexus aims to change the way gamers view Japanese RPGs with a powerful futuristic aesthetic as well as a streamlined combat system that balances fast-paced action with strategic planning. Lead by an extremely talented team at Bandai Namco Studios, including members from fan-favorite title Tales of Vesperia, Scarlet Nexus combines years of game development experience with the excitement and creative freedom of the power behind the next generation of home console systems.”
In a far distant future, a psionic hormone was discovered in the human brain, granting people extra-sensory powers and changing the world as we know it.
Just as humanity was entering this new era, deranged mutants known as Others began to descend from the sky with a thirst for human brains. Highly resistant to conventional attack methods, extreme measures needed to be taken to battle the overwhelming threat and preserve humanity.
Those with acute extra-sensory abilities, known as psionics, were our chance to fight the onslaught from above. To this day, psionics have been scouted for their talents and recruited to the Other Suppression Force (OSF), humanity’s last line of defense.
Take on the role of Yuito Sumeragi, a new recruit to the OSF aiming to become an elite psionic like the one who saved him as a child. Armed with a talent in psycho-kinesis, explore the futuristic city of New Himuka and uncover the mysteries of a Brain Punk future caught between technology and psychic abilities in Scarlet Nexus.
- Kinetic Psychic Combat – Using psycho-kinetic abilities, the world around you becomes your greatest weapon. Lift, break and throw pieces of your environment to build your attack combos and lay waste to your enemies.
- Exterminate the Others – Deranged mutants that descended from the sky, highly resistant to conventional attack methods and defenses. Tormented by the constant pain of their mutation, they seek brains of living organisms to calm their madness.
- Discover a Brain Punk Future – Explore and protect a futuristic Japanese landscape that combines inspirations from classic anime and western science fiction.
- Deep Story Driven Experience – Dive into a complex story of bonds, courage and heroism crafted by minds behind the iconic Tales of Vesperia.
- Xbox One X Enhanced – Yes
- 4K – Yes
- HDR – No
- Xbox Series X Optimized – Yes
- Xbox Play Anywhere – Yes
- Smart Delivery – Yes
Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.