Sega has released a new trailer and screenshots for Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 introducing “Dream Events,” a new series of events that goes beyond the limits of the reality of the Olympic Games.
Dream Events available in the game include:
- Dream Shooting: Aim and take fire at a range of targets placed all around a traditional Japanese manor in this competitive score-based event! At different intervals during the match, flying kites will appear, which players can target for bonus points.
- Dream Karate: Fight to light up the most blank spaces featured on the floor to expand your territory, combining the lightning-fast action of Karate with free-for-all gameplay! Every space where an enemy falls by your hand will light up. The player or team that lights up the most spaces at the end of the round is the victor. It’s chaos, fun-filled chaos!
- Dream Racing: Hop on a hoverboard and zoom through a downhill course filled with question-mark power-ups and challenging obstacles, performing sweet tricks to earn a speed boost and gain the lead. The first one to the bottom wins!
Here is an overview of the game itself, via Sega:
What you need to know about Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020:
- Brand New Story: Help Mario & Sonic escape from a 2D-themed console, the “Tokyo ’64.”
- 10 Classic 2D Events: Experience Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games in a brand-new way with classic 2D versions of 10 events from the Olympic Games Tokyo 1964.
- Plus, New 3D Events: Surfing, Skateboarding, Karate, and Sport Climbing add to the other 17 seminal 3D events already represented. With so many options to choose from, everyone has a sporting chance!
- Many Ways to Play*: Exclusively on Nintendo Switch, determine who the real champion is while using the fun and flexibility of Joy-Con controllers to your advantage.
- Split-Screen and Online Fun: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 delivers multiplayer, both local split-screen and online, fun for all ages and groups.
- Play with a Cast of Fan-Favorite Characters: Choose from the star-studded Mario & Sonic family, including Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Knuckles, Peach, Amy, Dr. Eggman, Yoshi, Tails, Metal Sonic, Donkey Kong, and more!
Enjoy 10 different classic 2D events with friends and family:
- 10m Platform (Diving)
- 400m Hurdles
- Gymnastics – Vault
- Kayak Single (K-1) 1000m
- Long Jump
- Shooting – Trap
You will also dash, jump, climb, surf and more in 21 3D events:
- 110m Hurdles
- 4 x 100m Relay
- Canoe Double (C-2) 1000m
- Discus Throw
- Equestrian – Jumping
- Football (Soccer)
- Gymnastics – Floor Exercise
- Javelin Throw
- Karate – Kumite
- Rugby Sevens
- Skateboarding – Park
- Sport Climbing
- Surfing – Shortboard
- Swimming – 100m Freestyle
- Table Tennis
- Triple Jump
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is due out for Switch on November 5 in the Americas and November 8 in Europe.
Watch the trailer below. View the screenshots at the gallery.