“As players enlist in the heart-racing Modern Warfare story, multiplayer continues the experience as players head online into the ultimate playground for the global balance of power,” Activision said in a press release. “Featuring unified progression across modes, Modern Warfare seeks to unite the community with plans to support cross-play across platforms and the removal of the traditional season pass in order to deliver a greater mix of more free maps, content and community events post-launch.”
A few moments ago, Twitch streamers CouRageJD, TeePee, Syndicate, and LEGIQN debuted the first gameplay of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare‘s new two-versus-two Gunfight mode. Here are some notes on the new mode:
Gunfight (2v2): An Overview
Today’s first glimpse of Multiplayer gameplay showcases a new mode for Modern Warfare, named Gunfight.
Gunfight is one of several multiplayer modes in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and represents just a small taste of the overall Multiplayer experience that awaits you on October 25!
Here’s a high-level breakdown of this exciting 2v2 experience:
“Small team, multi-round cage matches. First duo to reach the round win limit is victorious.”
- This is a four-player, two-versus-two game mode.
- It features a series of custom-made, confined maps; the smallest of those present in Multiplayer.
- Everybody gets the same loadout: Prove your adeptness with a wide variety of armaments!
- The loadouts switch every two rounds.
- The first duo to win six rounds wins.
- Each round lasts 40 seconds. After this, “Overtime” begins, and a flag spawns.
- The flag spawns if one or both players of each duo are still alive at the start of Overtime.
- Either team has 10 seconds to capture this flag. There is a three second capture time.
- During Overtime, you achieve victory by capturing this flag, or by defeating the other team.
- If no one defeats the other team or captures the flag, the duo with the higher health wins. If both sides have the same amount of health, the round is a draw.
- Each team switches to the opposite side of the map every two rounds.
- The first three maps shown today are:
- King: The interior of a warehouse.
- Pine: The exterior of a dense forest.
- Stack: A desert container yard.
- This is a fast-paced, pick-up-and-play experience that’s easy to learn.
- However, delve deeper into this mode and you’ll uncover tactically expansive gameplay that’s difficult to master.
- The close-quarter action, quick turnaround between rounds, and the speed in which you can return to the action make for an exceptionally competitive game mode.
- Some have compared the instant, entertaining, and competitive action to a fighting game. But one with armaments and set in the Call of Duty universe.
- A typical loadout is a Primary weapon, a Secondary weapon, a Tactical Grenade (like a Flashbang), and a piece of Lethal Equipment (like a frag grenade).
- All information is subject to change during the game-balancing and fine-tuning portion of development.
- Gunfight is just one element, there is a ton of more content – modes, maps and overall goodness coming to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Multiplayer experience.
- Fun fact; as Infinity Ward’s Multiplayer Design Director tells us: “When we stripped the game down [to] test each weapon, everyone would check each weapon for balancing, and the game mode was born out of that.”