Marvelous debuted new gameplay footage of Daemon X Machina during Nintendo’s Gamescom 2018 live stream.
Here is an overview of all the new information discussed during the gameplay demo, via ResetEra user LordKano:
- You can create an avatar named Outer.
- Mechs are called Arsenal.
- You can grab weapons from defeated enemies to add to your Arsenal, adapting fighting style while in-mission.
- In the story, the moon has crashed down and mankind is in a difficult situation. Due to that, a new kind of energy called Femto energy was created and is having various effects on the world. Artificial Intelligence that was previously used by mankind has been affected by that energy and they are now rebelling against humanity.
- The player will get inside an Arsenal and fight against that AI in behalf of humanity.
- The LAB in the hangar is used to personalize and upgrade (movement speed, jumping ability, new skills, etc.) your Outer. Those enhancements carries over to the Arsenal.
- Outers are not just normal human beings, they have been affected by Femto energy and are on the level of a super human, and have been driven off from normal society.
- You pick up missions at the hangar.
- The mission they play during the Gamescom 2018 demo has them playing on-foot at first, because they need to infiltrate an enemy base to steal an Arsenal.
- You can fight without your mech, using swords and the link.
- Enemy mechs are faster, stronger, and smarter than the normal tanks you fight.
- All cutscenes will be dubbed in the final release.
- When you play game in multiplayer, hangar will serve as a hub for all the players. Up to four players, each with their mech, can play together in both online and local multiplayer. You can compensate for missing players with CPU (one friend and two CPUs, for example). One player can attract the boss while the others shoot him down.
- In the Gamescom 2018 demo mission, the boss left a huge laser beam. You can shoot him with that, but you can also keep it, finish the mission then take it back to the hangar so the R&D team will work to create a miniaturized version for your Arsenal.
- There’s a countdown after you’ve beaten the boss, and it is tied to a “pretty unique multiplayer feature that no game has ever done before, but we’re not going to talk about it until a later date”.
- The last mission shown this time is an extermination mission taking place in an in-door environment, limiting player movements. A very pivotal character for the story appears at the end of that mission.
- You can change your weapon loadout in real-time, but you need to have that equipped beforehand.
- Femto energy is a resource that you have to manage. Some weapons (like the sword used in the demo) uses that energy. Femto energy can be thought like a MP bar in RPGs.
Daemon X Machina is due out for Switch in 2019.
Watch the footage below.