Retro shoot ’em up Iro Hero will launch for Switch via the Nintendo eShop and on June 7 for $12.99 / €12.99 / £11.69 / 1,480 yen, publisher Eastasiasoft and developer Artax Games announced. Pre-orders will go live on May 31. A PC version published by Artax Games will be released via Steam a week later.
Here is an overview of the game, via Eastasiasoft:
Iro Hero merges the old school pixelated aesthetic of arcade classics with modern gameplay sensibilities such as complex enemy AI, polarity mechanics, and mind-bending puzzle elements. Players will have to shift polarities to avoid color-coded hazards, balance an array of unlockable skills, and make use of reflective surfaces and color areas if they’re to make it through Iro Hero’s 9 action-packed stages intact.
Iro Hero’s story is set in the year 2306, a century after humans learned how to harness their energy to produce electricity. In the intervening years, nefarious enterprises have turned this gift into a curse, with humans reduced to little more than batteries. Following the death of his mother, a teenager named Iro learns that he may be the key to mankind’s freedom.
- A two-color polarity system, emphasizing risk vs reward gameplay where you charge up your powers in matching colors.
- Discover an exciting story that takes place across 9 action-packed levels.
- Encounter 10 different types of enemies with more than one hundred different behaviors.
- Defeat 10 final bosses in the vein of classic arcades.
- Unlock special skills, offering many creative and strategic options.
- Acquire upgrades to increase the firepower and capabilities of your spaceship.
- Rise to the top of the online leaderboards.
Watch a new trailer below.