The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has an interview with 10 members of the development staff of NieR: Automata in celebrations of its one year anniversary, including producer Yosuke Saito, director Yoko Taro, PlatinumGames designer Takahisa Taura, and illustrator Akihiko Yoshida.
Here are the notable tidbits:
- The developers’ impressions of the last year are that they were able to do what they wanted and were happy that NieR: Automata sold well.
- They wanted NieR: Automata to sell one million copies, but never thought that it would break through two million worldwide.
- A considerable amount of people have been interviewed regarding NieR-related work scenario staff recruitment. They are still in the final screenings. Yoko Taro said, “This is the first time I felt that there is so much to do for just one project.”
- They feel that fans of the original NieR pulled through immensely for NieR: Automata. The amazing hunger of fans who have been supporting the series seems to have attracted the interests of new fans.
- Regarding NieR: Automata topics that have yet to be discussed, as a small trick, you can press the R3 button while holding one of the d-pad arrows to change the camera distance. However, using it can break through the terrain and bug the camera. After careful consideration, they left it in as it seemed very NieR.
- “That” has yet to be discovered. It will definitely be unpleasant, so the developers will not officially announce what it is. For various reasons, this specification was put into the game. If they are more detailed about what it is, problems might occur, so they cannot say anything more. It is the final secret of NieR: Automata…
- Regarding future titles, right now a game is being proposed to producer Yosuke Saito. The developers are trying their best to not be at a standstill. Yoko Taro said, “I made the proposal thinking it would be good if everyone suffered. I want to announce it when the project is passed.”
- Regarding the future of NieR, nothing has been decided and it is unknown what the series will become, but given that 2020 is the 10 year anniversary of the series, they want to announce something big. They think it would be good if there is a new game announcement.