Players will be able to create their own original “Hero Character,” and customize how the character plays and looks. Players will equip the Hero Character with one of a variety of powerful, unique gadgets called “Wispons,” which are an evolution of the Color Powers form Sonic Colors and double as both offensive abilities and as a way to platform through levels quickly. The Hero Character will also have a grappling hook to quickly traverse across zones. Players can also customize the Hero Character’s looks by choosing and swapping between “hundreds” of accessories and outfit options.
There are seven base animal types that players can select from in creating their Hero Character, each with varying special abilities:
- Wolf – Automatically draws in rings when near them.
- Rabbit – Has longer invincible time after receiving damage.
- Cat – Keeps one ring after being hit.
- Dog – Restarts with five rings after the player dies.
- Bear – Blows away enemies with a homing attack.
- Bird – Flies high with double jump abilities.
- Hedgehog – Collects rings when getting damaged.
Regardless of the player’s choice of animal, it will be featured throughout the entire game. The Hero Character will act as a key part of the story, appearing in cut scenes and being a “crucial element” in helping Sonic reclaim the world from Eggman’s domination.
Sonic Forces is due out for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC this holiday.
Watch a trailer and gameplay video showcasing the Hero Character gameplay style below. View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.