IGN has gone up with 16 minutes of gameplay from Killer Instinct‘s new “Shadow Lords” story mode.
Here’s an overview of the mode, via the game’s official website:
Shadow Lords is an infinitely replayable solo player mode that pits you and a team of fighters that you’ve assembled against Gargos’ invasion of Earth. Shadow Lords is part ladder, part arcade mode, part story mode, and part roguelike, all rolled up into one unique experience.
- Your ultimate goal is to beat Gargos and his forces before he takes over the world. How fast that happens is completely up to how you play!
- Choose any character to “main” and assemble your team from across the entire roster of KI characters. Uneasy alliances abound!
- As characters are added to the game after launch, they’ll also come with new Shadow Lords content.
- There’s a lot of stuff to earn and craft in this mode, all of which can be obtained by playing. KI Gold will allow you to accelerate to get to some rarer stuff sooner to help in your fight against Gargos and his minions.
- The game features persistent items and elements that carry across multiple playthroughs.
- The new multiplayer mode ties into this mode and some of the things you can craft.
Killer Instinct will add “Shadow Lords” before Season Three of the game comes to an end, which will likely be sometime before the launch of the Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition.
Watch the footage below. View a set of screenshots at the gallery.