The next major entry in the Resident Evil franchise, Resident Evil 7 sets a new course for the series as it “opens the door to a trulty terrifying horror experience.” The title shifts the series to a first-person view in a photorealistic style powered by Capcom’s new RE Engine. The entire game will also be playable in PlayStation VR.
Resident Evil 7 is set in modern day rural America, after the events of Resident Evil 6. A PlayStation Plus-exclusive demo, Resdient Evil 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour, is available today on the PlayStation Store (it is coming to other platforms at a later date), and portrays the events leading up to the main game and ties directly into the Kitchen PlayStation VR tech demo first shown at E3 2015. The teaser demo sees the player awaken inside a dilapidated cottage on an ominou splantation mansion.
Here’s the overview, via Capcom:
Resident Evil 7 embodies the series’ signature gameplay elements of exploration and tense atmosphere that first coined “survival horror” some twenty years ago; meanwhile, a complete refresh of gameplay systems simultaneously propels the survival horror experience to the next level. Terrifying fans at events across the globe last year, the PlayStation VR “Kitchen” tech demo was developed utilizing the RE Engine’s VR oriented tools, and is the foundation on which the talented Resident Evil team has crafted the immersive horror experience in Resident Evil 7. Powered by the RE Engine in tandem with industry leading audio and visual technologies, Resident Evil 7 is poised to deliver a disturbingly realistic experience that will define the next era in horror entertainment.
Get the trailer and fact sheet below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.
Resident Evil 7 biohazard sets a new course for the Resident Evil series as it leverages its roots and opens the door to a truly terrifying horror experience. The new era of horror is scheduled for release on PlayStation 4 (the full gameplay experience will also be available via the included PlayStation VR Mode), Xbox One and Windows PC (Steam and Windows 10 Store) across North America and Europe on January 24, 2017. Set within a sinister plantation mansion in modern day rural America and taking place after the dramatic events of Resident Evil 6, players experience the terror directly from the first person perspective for the first time in the Resident Evil series. Embodying the iconic gameplay elements of exploration and tense atmosphere that first coined “survival horror” some twenty years ago, Resident Evil 7 biohazard delivers a disturbingly realistic experience that will define the next era in horror entertainment.
- Opening the doors to a new era of horror – The next major entry in the renowned Resident Evil series makes a dramatic new shift as it comes to next generation consoles, Windows PC and PlayStation VR
- Returning to the series’ roots – Resident Evil 7 biohazard will deliver an experience reminiscent of the series’ signature gameplay including exploration, puzzles and a realistic tense atmosphere for players to encounter but will offer a complete refresh of the gameplay systems to propel the survival horror experience to the next level
- Immersive, visceral horror – A new shift for the series to first person view brings the terrifying horror directly up close and personal; PSVR compatibility heightens the chilling experience even more
- Built from the ground up on the RE Engine – Capcom’s brand new VR compatible development engine works in tandem with industry leading audio and visual technologies to create a disturbingly photorealistic experience for an unprecedented level of immersion
- Step inside the plantation now on PlayStation Plus – The standalone teaser demo “Beginning Hour” can be downloaded now by PlayStation Plus subscribers, delivering players a taste of what they can expect from Resident Evil 7 biohazard when it releases in January next year
- Building upon on last year’s “KITCHEN” tech demo for PlayStation VR, the events in “Beginning Hour” see the player awaken inside a dilapidated cottage within an ominous plantation mansion. Can players make it out alive?