Toei Animation, Bandai, and Bandai Namco lifted the veil on Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters, its new cross-media project, at the Tokyo Toy Show today.
A pair of trailers reveal the Appli Monsters animation, which is set to begin airing on TV Tokyo this October in Japan, as well as a series of other goodies, including:
- Appmon Chips – 240 yen each. Chips featuring individual Applimon. Launching in early October.
- Appli Drive – 4,500 yen. A toy compatible with the Appmon Chips that has various modes and sound effects. Launching in early October.
- 3DS Retail Game – A Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters 3DS retail game promising a grand adventure is planned, but has not been showcased. An eShop game will arrive first…
- 3DS eShop Game – Appli Monsters: Cyber Arena (tentative title) is compatible with the QR codes on the Appmon Chips. Scan in your Appmon and use them in battle. Launching this fall.
- Web Integration – Scan Appmon Chips with your smartphone to complete various missions.
- Appmon 7code Pad – 3,200 yen. Launching in mid-November.
- Appmon Band – 1,500 yen. Launching in early October.
- Appmon Pairing Cover Set – 800 yen set. Includes two Appmon Chips and a cover for the Appmon Drive. Launching in late October.
- Appliarise Action Figures – 1,200 yen each. Applimon figures.
Here’s a summary of the anime’s story, via Anime News Network:
Everyone in the world uses smartphone apps. But inside them lurks unknown creatures called “Appli Monsters,” or “Appmon.” The Appmon are AI lifeforms with the ability to think and act, and exist in the boundary between the human world and digital space to allow people and the system to interface and function. But in the vast sea of the internet, the “last boss AI” Leviathan takes control of the Appmon with a virus and begins hacking every system, thus starting to control the human world from the world of the net.
The protagonist, Haru Shinkai (voiced by Yumi Uchiyama), is led to acquire the Appli Drive (voiced by Wataru Takagi), and uses it to materialize Gacchimon (voiced by Kokoro Kikuchi), a search app monster. What is the secret hidden within the Appli Drive? What is the mysterious field that exists between net world where the Appmon exist, and the real world? What is the “App Combine” that can combine two Appmons? What is Leviathan’s true goal?