Fallout 4 will launch worldwide for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on November 10 this year, Bethesda announced during its E3 press conference this evening.
The game will be available in both $59.99 standard and $119.99 “Pip Boy” editions. The latter includes a real Pip Boy that fits your phone. There will be downloadable Pip Boy companion app that works with Fallout 4 as a second-screen experience. The app lets you access your in-game Pip Boy using your phone screen. Of course, if you don’t get the Pip Boy Edition, you can still download and use the app without the Pip Boy casing.
A gameplay demo shown tonight opened with character creation. You can play as a male or a female, and during their creation, you simply select a part of their face and sculpt them—there are no sliders. The opening is set in the pre-apocalypse. You’re with your wife or husband in a retro-inspired home and robot butler, Codsworth. Your crying baby is in the other room. The player is visited by a Vault-Tec representative and asked to sign a registration form to guarantee a spot in the Vault. But then, panic ensues as reports come in that there was a nuclear bombing in New York, and everyone rushes to the vault. Then a bomb drops where you are.
The gameplay then skipped ahead. You are the sole survivor of Vault 111, which you emerge from 200 years later. Exploration ensues as the player roams the world to encounter his former butler robot. Eventually, he comes across a dog, which he takes in as his own.
Another skip brought us to the player finding a Pip Boy, which becomes his. There’s a layered armor system, hollow tapes you can listen to, and even game taps you can play (one is basically Donkey Kong).
Your player will also be able to build his or her own settlement. Your character can scrap materials from the game world and use those materials to rebuild in real-time. As your settlement grows, more people will arrive and help it grow further. You’ll want to build defenses, as raiders will most definitely attack. Bethesda notes that this is an optional part of the game.
In addition to settlement building, there are other things you can modify. There are over 50 base weapons and over 700 modifications for those weapons. And you can even modify your own power armor.
Fallout 4 runs on a next-generation version of Bethesda Softworks’ Creation Engine, and features full physical-based rendering and dynamic volumetric lighting. The studio promises the most detailed and ambitious game world its ever made, culminated in the ruins of Boston.
Get the first gameplay and a new fact sheet below.
Bethesda Game Studios, the award-winning creators of Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, welcome you to the world of Fallout 4 – their most ambitious game ever, and the next generation of open-world gaming.
As the sole survivor of Vault 111, you enter a world destroyed by nuclear war. Every second is a fight for survival, and every choice is yours. Only you can rebuild and determine the fate of the Wasteland. Welcome home.
- Freedom and Liberty! – Do whatever you want in a massive open world with hundreds of locations, characters, and quests. Join multiple factions vying for power or go it alone, the choices are all yours.
- You’re S.P.E.C.I.A.L! – Be whoever you want with the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. character system. From a Power Armored soldier to the charismatic smooth talker, you can choose from hundreds of Perks and develop your own playstyle.
- Super Deluxe Pixels! – An all-new next generation graphics and lighting engine brings to life the world of Fallout like never before. From the blasted forests of the Commonwealth to the ruins of Boston, every location is packed with dynamic detail.
- Violence and V.A.T.S.! – Intense first or third person combat can also be slowed down with the new dynamic Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S) that lets you choose your attacks and enjoy cinematic carnage.
- Collect and Build! – Collect, upgrade, and build thousands of items in the most advanced crafting system ever. Weapons, armor, chemicals, and food are just the beginning – you can even build and manage entire settlements.
View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.