Microsoft is planning cross-buy support between Xbox One and Windows 10, Xbox boss Phil Spencer announced during a stage event at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.
Like PlayStation 4 and PS Vita cross-buy before it, this will allow consumers to buy one version of a game and instantly own it on the other platform. Pinball FX2 is the first confirmed cross-buy title across Xbox One and PC.
Additionally, Microsoft is bringing its [email protected] program to Windows 10, meaning developers who release games through the program will be able to do so on both platforms. [email protected] games coming to Windows 10 include:
- #IDARB (Other Ocean): In its developer’s own words, #IDARB is “a chaotic 8-player eSport jumping jetpack future arena ball game.” That’s about as accurate a description as any we’ve heard. #IDARB will feature cross-play with the Xbox One version of the game.
- Ashen (Aurora44): In this third-person action-role-playing game, you are a lone wanderer in a sunless land.
- Bierzerkers (Shield Break Studios): It’s a team-based, multiplayer combat game set in the Viking afterlife. Prepare for battle!
- Cuphead (Studio MDHR): A run-and-gun adventure, with plenty of 1930s style to it.
- Divinity: Original Sin (Larian Studios): One of the most critically acclaimed role-playing games of 2014 arrives on Windows 10 PCs. Hooray!
- Dungeons & Dragons: Sword Coast Legends (n-Space/Digital Extremes): Four players can participate in a campaign managed by a live, human Dungeon Master on a fifth PC, in real-time. Now this is D&D.
- Game 4 (The Behemoth): The Behemoth brings their inimitable style to turn-based strategy! Game 4 will feature cross-play with the Xbox One version of the game.
- Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (Asteroid Base): Jump in your neon battleship and explore the galaxy in this frantic co-op action game.
- Pillars of Eternity (Obsidian Entertainment/Paradox Interactive): It’s a classic RPG inspired by the likes of Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale – and that’s pretty much all we need to hear to be excited about this one.
- Pinball FX2 (Zen Studios): It’s the most powerful virtual pinball platform in existence – and if you’ve never played Pinball FX2, there’s never been a better time to jump on board!
- Shovel Knight (Yacht Club Games): Steel thy shovel! The amazing retro sidescrolling adventure comes to Windows 10 PCs, with special guest stars courtesy of Rare, The Battletoads!
- Siegecraft Commander (Blowfish Studios): Sharp mechanics and positional tactics combine to form one of the coolest strategic games we’ve ever seen. Siegecraft will feature cross play with the Xbox One version of the game!
- Super Dungeon Bros (React! Games/Wired Productions): A multiplayer dungeon-crawling extravaganza with a rock music theme. Get your bros together and get ready to rock out! SDB will feature cross play with the Xbox One version of the game.
- Swordy (Frogshark): In this multiplayer physics brawler, you will hit your friends until they explode. You really have to see this one to wrap your head around this craziness.
- The Long Dark (Hinterland Games): The lights have gone out, and they’re not coming back. This survival simulation gives you a front seat to the end of the world.
- This War of Mine (11 Bit Studios): In war, not everyone is a soldier – and in this unique tale, you play as a group of ordinary citizens who are just trying to survive.
- Wasteland 2 (inXile Entertainment): The sequel to one of the most beloved post-apocalyptic RPGs ever made is coming to Windows 10!
Phil Spencer also hinted that most first-party games will be developed for both Xbox One and PC.
Microsoft also discussed DirectX 12. As demonstrated with the PC version of Fable Legends running on Unreal Engine 4, DirectX 12 offers a 20 percent improvement in performance. Epic Games is also creating the new Unreal Tournament using Unreal Engine 4 running on DirectX 12.