Of course, while the answers provided are largely focused on Type-0 HD, there are also some answers concerning the Final Fantasy XV demo included with first-print copies, as well as Tabata’s personal preferences.
Get the full compilation of answers below.
Questions About Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
What were the reasons behind not making a PS Vita version from Type-0 HD? Would you have any interest in making a Type-0 sequel, given the chance?
I wanted everyone to be able to play the game on a large high-definition screen. Honestly, my eyesight’s getting worse, so it’s getting difficult to see things on a smaller screen.
I’ve seen some questions about why Type-0 isn’t being released on the Vita while X | X-2 HD saw a Vita release. The reason is that the X | X-2 HD Remaster was developed on a PS3/Xbox 360 environment, while Type-0 HD was developed on a PS4/Xbox One environment. So there is a great difference in the technical specs and it would not be easy to export the data to the Vita. As for a sequel, I would love to work on one if Type-0 HD does well.
Are there any plans for a PC version of Type-0 HD?
There are currently no plans for a PC version, but I am very interested in Steam. The thing is, I want to know when Valve’s going to release Half-Life 2: Episode 3.
I’ve been a supporter of Steam since Half-Life 2. I actually bought an expensive graphics card just to play Half-Life (the original). The opening to Half-Life is actually one of my favorite game intros.
How long is Type-0 HD?
I think you should be able to see the ending in around 40 hours. But the real fun starts from the second playthrough since you get some new events, so you’ll probably be able to play for over 100 hours. Take your time to get the full experience and have fun!
Will US/EU versions of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD have an option for Japanese voices? Will digital pre-orders also give access to the Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae demo or is it limited only to package versions of the game?
The Japanese voices have been included as salromano mentioned. Thank you salromano!! The European version will include English and Japanese voice work and English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish subtitles as well.
We are planning to include the Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae demo for a limited time with a Type-0 HD digital purchase as well.
With the original PSP port of the game, the character exclusive accessories (i.e, God’s Rulebook) were obtained through having a Japanese Square Enix Member log-in that could be synced for download. Are those accessories still available in the console port through DLC or gameplay, or are they now removed? There are a few cutscenes in the original game one could only trigger by accessing them through the Crimson Codex. When in development, did any of these cutscenes get moved to play within the game’s story, or did they all stay where the player has to choose to watch them?
All of the accessories can be obtained in-game. The Members’ Site rewards have been incorporated into the game itself, so don’t worry.
As for the Crimson mission events, the design is the same as the PSP version. But, we’ve added some new (important!) scenes for the HD version, so do your best to unlock and view those events!
- In the PSP version of Final Fantasy Type-0 the the online multiplayer tied into a lot of sidequests and rewards. Now that the co-op multiplayer has been cut, how will you be handling those side-quests and rewards?
- Has the games pacing been changed in any way to reflect its move from a portable format to a home console format?
- Are you still working on the trophy/achievement list for the game. JRPGs tend to have very tedious trophies could you please have some entertaining trophies/achievements?
- Will There be unlockable costumes?
- Will there be an option to turn blood ‘on’ or ‘off’ and will Final Fantasy XV be like Type-0 HD in its depiction of violence and its consequences?
- All of the side-quests and rewards remain in the game and are obtainable, so don’t worry.
- We calculated the speed of the party characters, and increased their speed for the HD version. We also improved the controls for characters where we felt they could be improved.
- There aren’t any tedious trophies/achievements in the game. We used Final Fantasy XIII as an example for our trophy/achievement list.
- The two bonus costumes from the PSP version are still in the game, and we have also added a new costume specifically for the HD version.
- Unfortunately there are no VFX (blood effects) options available in the game. I have actually never heard that requested from our fans in Japan, but is that a popular feature that gamers in North America like to see in games?
- Why does Seven look so much similar to Lightning?
- Who is your favorite character design in Type-0?
- What are the three best characters in terms of Magic, Strength, and Range? (I’m assuming this would be a well rounded party?)
- After XV comes out, would you consider releasing Type-0 HD on the Vita like a year later perhaps?
- Will the people who bought Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster for PS3 get a free upgrade to the PS4 version?
- In the Japanese version we used the same voice actress for both characters and they’re both very cool. I wonder why?
- My favorite character in Type-0 is the soldier who dies in the intro. His name is Izana.
- Ace, Rem, and King are my suggestions for beginners. For more advanced players, I’d use Trey, Jack, and Eight (or Seven).
- For questions 4 & 5… hahaha!
Does the high demand for Type-0 release in America surprise you? There is a big audience in America for people who love Japanese games.
I was very surprised by the response and very happy by the outpouring of support. I would love to make a great Final Fantasy community with our American fans.
In the PSP version of Type-0 there were a number of faults in the battle mechanics that persisted throughout the game. One of the problems you have addressed is the erratic camera which it seems you may have addressed. However, the biggest fault with the game was the party AI. Often members of your party would stand still in a battle doing absolutely nothing during a fight. This unreliable AI made it more beneficial to simply compose a party of one character that you controlled yourself. Has there been any work on this serious problem for the release of the HD remake?
The AI wasn’t a code due to technical restrictions with the PSP. So we made the AI focus on healing the player when their HP got really low and ensured that the AI-controlled characters wouldn’t die easily or “steal” too many kills from the player. We made it this way because of the reserves function since only the characters in the active battle party earn experience.
We didn’t make any changes to this feature in the HD version as that would require an overhaul of the system from the ground up.
We have made some improvements to camera and controls as you said. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the improvements!
This is the first Final Fantasy game with an M rating. Was there a specific reason you wanted to tell a more mature story?
I wanted to create a Final Fantasy where you could truly feel a vibrant game world and characters, while also exploring the deep emotions of the characters. My work on Crisis Core got me interested in exploring and creating a game with those themes.
We know that multiplayer was cut from the game. On a technical level, would it be possible to add multiplayer at a later date in a patch?
In the original PSP version, we used the ad-hoc mode for the multiplayer feature. So trying to include that in the HD version would require creating a system to match players over a server and we felt that it would be difficult to include that in the HD version. I’m sorry.
Questions About Final Fantasy XV/Misc.
What’s the target frame rate/resolution for Final Fantasy XV? What can we expect in Episode Duscae?
Our target for the full version is full-HD (30 fps), but it’s difficult to realize that with the graphics and features we have in the game.
In terms of Episode Duscae…you’ll find out if Cindy is this game’s “Cid” by playing the demo!
Will the Episode Duscae demo be immediately playable when Type-0 HD releases? I’ve heard conflicting information about this.
We are doing are best to have the demo playable with the release of Type-0 HD, but we are still working on optimizing the system and everything, so I can’t give you a date.
What more can you say about Episode Duscae?
For Episode Duscae, our Japanese fans keep asking if we’re including a jump feature or if the “Phantom Sword” will be available. And I can confirm that both are in the demo!
Do you think you’ll revisit Crisis Core and Before Crisis and give them the HD treatment?
That’s an interesting question. There are no plans at this time, but I’m curious as to how many fans would be interested in such games.
Questions About Tabata
Which of the two types of settings do you personally prefer and why?
In my opinion, Final Fantasy uses a mix of medieval, modern, and futuristic aspects and I really love that. Personally, I love game worlds that incorporate real-world aspects or settings, too.
Who was your favorite Final Fantasy character of all time? And why?
My favorite Final Fantasy character is Zack. That’s because I spent a lot of time “working” with him during the development of Crisis Core.
What’s your favorite track from Type-0‘s soundtrack?
“Warera Kitareri” (“We Have Come”) is my favorite music track from the game. I love the medley in the ending credits.
What is your favorite JRPG that isn’t Final Fantasy?
What is your favorite Final Fantasy game and why? What games and game directors do you personally get inspiration from? Do you have any comments about the long development time for Final Fantasy XV? What are you planning to do to ensure the game releases in a timely manner?
My favorite Final Fantasy… Well, Final Fantasy I was the most memorable, while Final Fantasy VII was the most influential to me. But overall, Final Fantasy VI has to be my favorite. I looked at previous Final Fantasy games for my research on developing Final Fantasy XV and Final Fantasy VI really stood out to me.
There are plenty of games and game creators that respect, but Journey popped into my mind right now.
I’m sorry to keep you all waiting for the release of Final Fantasy XV. We’re doing our best to keep things going and release it as soon as possible. Please try out the demo and I hope you have fun playing it!
What are your hobbies outside of creating games? What is your favorite car?
My hobbies are driving, history, keeping my devices fully charged, and video game development. But video game development is probably my favorite hobby.
I’ve never driven one, but I love the Audi R8. Audi are you paying attention? But I actually own a BMW (I want a hybrid but my wife won’t let me buy one)! LOL
McDonalds dipping sauce: Buffalo or Ranch?
Buffalo!! I love very spicy food and sweets, too!! LOL