The Guided Fate Paradox, Nippon Ichi Software‘s new PlayStation 3trategy RPG known as The God and the Fate Revolution Paradox in Japan, is coming to North America and Europe this fall, NIS America has announced.
The game, developed by the team behind Disgaea, is a spiritual successor to roguelike RPG Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger Vs. Darkdeath Evilman. It stars high school student Renya Kagurazaka, who has become a god by winning a mall lottery. Now, he has to travel through the Copy World in order to affect changes in the Original World and make people’s wishes come true. But there may be another force at work.
The game’s key features include:
- In-depth customization featuring off the wall armor, weapons, and more. Want tank treads for legs? Or maybe race car legs instead? Well, there you go!
- 3D randomly generated dungeons offer floor after floor of surprises! Don’t be afraid to die, you’re God! The levels you gain while dungeon delving will help boost your stats!
- Features the beautiful artwork of Noizi Ito (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
- High-resolution 3D sprites offer sublime visuals while you ogre through the game’s ethereal dungeons! You won’t be alone though, angels are by your side!
- Disgaea-inspired over-the-top special attacks allow you to crush your enemies with creativity drizzled with a slight hint of levity!
Watch a new trailer below. View a new set of screenshots at the gallery. Continue reading below the trailer for full setting, character, and gameplay descriptions.
- A story-based dungeon RPG! Players take on the role of Renya Kagurazaka, a high school boy who has “won” the chance to be God. He has also gained the ability to fulfill people’s wishes with the power of a machine called the Fate Revolution Circuit.In addition to deep and fulfilling gameplay, The Guided Fate Paradox offers players a compelling story with characters illustrated by Noizi Ito (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Shakuganno Shana)!
- Insane customization options! One of the staples of the Rogue-like genre is getting loot from enemies in dungeons, and this game is no different! You can equip drops immediately, and equipping items will change your character’s appearance. Equipment ranges from cool armor to wacky race car legs! Plus, each weapon has its own special attack or bonus skill that is flashy, exciting, and often ridiculous! Expect the usual NIS over-the-top antics!
- Infinite Variety! Dungeons are randomly generated, so a new challenge will present itself each time. Themes range from fantastic fairy tale castles to zombie-riddled graveyards. Each map is rotatable for strategic planning and to find the best view of the action!
Once upon a time, there was a boy named Renya who wasn’t very lucky. One day, as he was walked through the local mall, a girl in a maid costume beckoned for him to try his hand at a lottery. Hesitantly, Renya made his way over to the device and turned the crank, wholly expecting his usual poor luck to kick in and for him to win nothing. However, this time, something was different. This time, Renya won the Grand Prize. And the Grand Prize… is to become God…
- Renya Kagurazaka: The main character, Renyais a high school student who has never been particularly lucky until the fateful day he meets Lilliel. This normal boy is suddenly given the powers of a deity and is now responsible for fulfilling people’s wishes.
- Lilliel: Lilliel is the angel specially assigned to Renya. She has been tasked with assisting him in his mission to fulfill people’s wishes. She is kind, cheery, and diligent in her support for Renya. However, since she is rather new at her job, she has the tendency to only do things “by the book.”
- In addition to Lilliel, Renya also receives support from these other angels as well: Galtion, Rakiel, Neliel, Cheriel, Kuroiel, and Lanael. Some are more helpful than others…
The Guided Fate Paradox is an RPG in the Rogue-like style. Rogue-likes are known for their appeal to hardcore gamers who enjoy dungeon crawling and finding loot. If a player dies in a dungeon, they lose all levels and items they obtained up to that point and must restart essentially from scratch. The meat of the gameplay is the dungeon adventuring, while the story is usually little more than a set-up for the adventure.
The Guided Fate Paradox takes the best part of this subgenre (tons of loot, strategic gameplay, random dungeons) and couches it in a tale worthy of any other great RPG franchise.
The game also features more depth than other games in the subgenre, in that players can increase Renya’sbase stats permanently—they will not be lost even if he perishes in battle. Special loot can also be stowed away for later use, removing one of the most frustrating elements of typical Rogue-likes.
In this way, the title takes the bests elements of both genres and fuses them in a dynamic and fresh way!
The basic flow of the game is: HQ → EVENT → DUNGEON → EVENT. You can go into random dungeons unrelated to the story at any time to increase your amount of loot and build up your character.
- Like our PSP title from 2010, Z.H.P., The Guided Fate Paradoxis a Rogue-like dungeon crawler. As such, there is a high level of strategy both before and after the player enters a dungeon.
- Players guide Renya and one of his angelic companions through randomly generated floors in search of loot and the path to the next floor! Enemies only move when Renya does, so each step must be taken with care!
- Enemies will be alerted to Renya’s presence when he steps into their field of view. This will also alert nearby foes as well, so carefully choosing where to move is essential!
- Items and characters can also be thrown to increase damage!
- Traps exist within dungeons that can hamper Renya’s progress or cause status ailments.
- When found, equipment can be swapped out instantly, allowing for an infinite variety of looks!
- Different from other Rogue-likes, The Guided Fate Paradox allows you to customize Renya independent from leveling up. By using items in battle and having them reach “Burst” mode, Renya will receive an item that will allow him to power up his core stats by placing it on a board.
- As Renya becomes more powerful, he will gain access to his “God” form that allows him unleash extremely powerful attacks!