The strategy RPG sequel sees the return of the popular trio Laharl, Etna, and Flonne from the first Disgaea. It’s set in the Netherworld, a place where “might makes right and today’s friends are tomorrow’s eemies,” where Laharl finally becomes the full-fledged Overlord of the Netherworld. But its denizens do not see Laharl as king, so he sets out with Etna and Flonne to receive proper respect. On his journey, he will meet a girl who claims she is his sister, fight demons, and discover a few surprises about his own body (if you’ve been following this game, I think you know what I’m talking about).
The game’s key features include:
- Enhanced Customization: The character creation system has been completely revamped to allow for the highest level of character customization in series history!
- Master/Pupil System: The player chooses the master and the pupil, as well as which skills to learn! Benefits include new skills and higher weapon proficiencies for the pupil, while the master gets a stat boost!
- Item World: Challenge this battleground to power up your weapons, items, and characters! Prepare to deal massive damage!
- Geo Panels: These status-altering blocks provide bonuses or detriments to the terrain! Change the tide of battle by skillfully manipulating these elemental icons!
- Reunite with old friends and meet a new crew: Bringing back the fan favorite trio of Laharl, Etna, and Flonne, with new characters and a brand-new story!
Post-launch download content is also planned.
Watch a new trailer below. View a new set of screenshots at the gallery. Continue reading below the trailer for full setting, character, and gameplay descriptions.
- The next level of the ultimate high replay SRPG! This newest installment of the world-famous Disgaea series offers refinements to game systems that will entice new fans while still offering the same kind of hardcore, endless gameplay that is sure to please long-time fans.
- Improved Customization Options. Special attention has been paid to those players who enjoy creating their own in-game units. The customization is enhanced like never before for more control over created units’ appearance, personality, weapons and more.
- Graphical Improvements Abound! In addition to the well-received high-resolution character sprites seen in Disgaea 4, Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness has animated the background graphics as well for a more immersive experience!
- The return of series favorites. 2013 marks Nippon Ichi’s 20th year and as part of the celebration, this title brings back the popular trio from the first game: Laharl, Etna and Flonne! Since the story is totally separate and original, new fans can enjoy it as well!
The Netherworld – a place where might makes right and today’s friends are tomorrow’s enemies. After a long journey with many ups and downs, Laharl finally finds himself as a full-fledged Overlord. However, the other denizens of the Netherworld do not see him as such, so he sets out on a journey with his loyal (!?) servants to receive the respect he deserves. Along the way, Laharl will meet a girl who claims to be his sister, demons with bigger than usual chips on their shoulders and find out his own body even holds some surprises…
- Laharl: The son of a famous and powerful Overlord, Laharl spent the events of the first Disgaea trying to make a name for himself after his father dies. At the end of that game, he finally succeeds in becoming an Overlord. Unfortunately, the only ones who seem to know this are a few demons and some higher-ups in the heavenly realm of Celestia. Laharl is self-centered and selfish and wants to make everyone in the Netherworld and Celestia know once and for all what a powerful Overlord he really is!
- Etna: Laharl’s feisty and disrespectful vassal, Etna was taken in by Laharl’s father at a young age and deeply respected him — Laharl, not so much. She serves Laharl more out of a sense of duty to his father rather than any kind of loyalty to him. Etna’s tongue is sharp, and so is her spear – it’s always better to avoid being on the receiving end of either!
- Flonne: Originally an angel, Flonne was turned into a Fallen Angel after the events of the Disgaea 1. In spite of her new “evil” title and attire, Flonne is still very much a kindhearted girl who hasn’t given up on trying to teach the demons of the Netherworld about the importance of love. She has also planted a flower garden in Laharl’s castle, much to his dismay.
- Sicily: Sicily is an angel girl who shows up one day in the mail (so she wouldn’t get lost) at Laharl’s castle and calls him “big brother.” She follows the team around insisting this, but none of them believe her. She is good at cooking and especially enjoys making sweets. She also appears to have designs on Laharl’s throne…
The basic flow of the game is: HQ → EVENT → BATTLE → EVENT. Even after you beat a stages you can still keep playing by entering the Item World, which is made up of randomly generated battle stages.
- In addition to the hi-res sprites introduced in Disgaea 4, the backgrounds are animated for further immersion!
- As with all Disgaea titles, combat is a major part of the game. Players will enjoy the over-the-top gameplay they’ve come to know and love in an all-new streamlined format!
- As with all Disgaea games, the key to victory lies in a sound strategy! The system has been refined from previous installments to keep combat fresh and make it more rewarding than ever!
- Allies adjacent to one another participate in Linked attacks!
- Height is used to create an advantage!
- Characters have their own unique attacks!
- Throw allies to get past obstacles!
- Characters speak to one another in the heat of battle! Position characters near each other and their affinity will increase. They then may perform support actions during battle!
- Example: Laharl gives Etna a hand in battle.
- Flonne heals Laharl thanks to their high affinity!
- A look at the current affinity levels for Laharl.
- As you play through battles, you are graded on your performance. The better you do, the more bonuses you receive after battle!
- In battle, check the goals you need to accomplish to receive bonuses!
- Profit from your hard work and planning after the battle!
- Of course, that Disgaea staple — the Item World, makes its reappearance! In the Item World, players can improve their weapons, items and characters! Through continuous training, the player is able to do massive damage!
- Of course, no Disgaea would be complete without Geopanels. These elemental blocks provide effect bonuses or detriments to the terrain and can be moved or destroyed to change the effects or cause damage. Change the tide of battle by skillfully manipulating these elemental icons!
- The Dark Assembly returns in all its glory! Players can propose bills to the Assembly to have them vote on them.
- The character creation system has been completely revamped to allow for the highest level of original character customization in series history! When you create a new character, you can now choose their personality type and color pattern in addition to their class! Personality characteristics effect base stats. Of course, there are tons of job classes to choose from!
- The new Master/Pupil system allows for skills to be transferred between characters. The player chooses the master and the pupil as well as which skills to learn! Benefits include new skills and higher weapon affinities for the pupil while the master gets a stat boost!
- In addition to being able to capture and train monsters, they can now be ridden and perform special attacks with the character riding them!
- The new weapon, the book, can be used as a melee weapon or to summon devastating creatures!