Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 is a stealth action video game collection developed and published by Konami Digital Entertainment.
The origin of stealth action returns. Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 unifies the beginning of the Metal Gear gameplay experience in one single package. Infiltrate enemy fortresses all over the globe, complete your missions with stealth and experience the thrilling cinematic story of the Metal Gear series.
The Volume 1 line-up features the original titles and beginning of the Metal Gear series, including the original versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid (which also includes VR Missions / Special Missions), and the HD Collection versions of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.
Each main title in the line-up will also include an exclusive digital Screenplay Book and Master Book that details the story and characters in that game. This collection includes the classic versions of the games, complete with only minimal edits to copyrighted contents.
Those who purchase Volume 1 will also have access to a variety of bonus content including the two regional versions of Metal Gear, the original version of Snake’s Revenge, the first and second Digital Graphic Novels in video form, and a digital soundtrack.
- Metal Gear – Solid Snake, a new recruit to the special forces unit known as FOXHOUND, is sent on his inaugural mission after receiving orders from his commander, Big Boss. His orders are to infiltrate the hostile nation of OUTER HEAVEN, where a bipedal tank capable of launching nuclear missiles from anywhere in the world is being developed. The story covers what would later be referred to as the Outer Heaven Uprising. The game’s stealth-action gameplay that saw players infiltrate enemy territory without being spotted and its hardboiled setting earned it critical acclaim all over the world. The game went on to be recognized in Guinness World Records as the first console game to ever use stealth as a core part of its gameplay. This groundbreaking title was the first game released in the official history of the Metal Gear franchise.
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake – This game sees Solid Snake, who has left the special forces unit known as FOXHOUND, looking to settle the score against his nemesis, Big Boss. The story covers what would later be known as the Zanzibar Land Disturbance, taking the drama of the series to all new heights as it depicts the reason for Big Boss’s actions and how the soldiers had lost their sense of purpose. While the previous game focused mainly on not being spotted by the enemy, this new entry to the series introduced the concept of sound, where enemy soldiers could hear Snake’s footsteps, and players could knock on walls to draw the enemy’s attention, enabling even more thrilling stealth action gameplay. This title was the second game released in the official history of the Metal Gear franchise.
- Metal Gear Solid (including VR Missions / Special Missions) – In this game, Solid Snake abandons his retirement plans and seclusion in Alaska, in order to take on a mission regarding Big Boss’s corpse. The story follows the infiltration mission that would later be known as “the Shadow Moses Incident”. Not only is the secret behind Solid Snake’s birth revealed, but also his brother makes an appearance: Liquid Snake, who was born from the same genetic material. The story about genetics and rogue nuclear weapons was labeled by the media as the 20th century’s ultimate video-game scenario, with the game receiving praise for using the Sony PlayStation’s 3D graphics to provide an immersive infiltration experience. The game featured many new ideas, utilizing the controller’s vibration function, as well as various secrets hidden within the game’s packaging. This title was the third game released in the official history of the Metal Gear franchise.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (HD Collection version) – This game depicts two different events: Solid Snake investigating a new kind of Metal Gear as part of the Tanker Incident, as well as FOXHOUND’s newest member, Raiden, taking on a group of terrorists who have captured an off-shore facility in the Big Shell Incident. This game, released on the PlayStation 2, introduced players to the character of Raiden, who inherited many techniques and ideas from Solid Snake. In addition to a first-person aiming feature, players also had access to a variety of new actions, such as holding up enemies and also disposing of their bodies. It was labeled “the best gameplay system of the 21st century.” An ultimate edition of the game called Substance was released later. This title was the fourth game released in the official history of the Metal Gear franchise.
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (HD Collection version) – The story that tells the beginning of the epic saga. It covers the events of both Virtuous Mission and Operation Snake Eater, detailing how the man code-named Naked Snake earned the title of Big Boss. While previous games in the Metal Gear series took place in more urban settings and involved infiltrating buildings, this game is set in an unforgiving jungle. In addition to hiding in the shadows, players can use uniforms and face paint as camouflage to blend in with their surroundings. This gameplay system was expanded upon in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. An edition boasting the ultimate survival experience called Subsistence was released later. This title was the fifth game released in the official history of the Metal Gear franchise.
- Metal Gear (Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom version) – A unique standalone installment that offers a fresh twist on the original Metal Gear‘s story and game system.
- Snake’s Revenge – This ambitious Metal Gear sequel for Nintendo Entertainment System was developed with players outside of Japan in mind. New game elements were introduced to the series, including the now-mainstay searchlight mechanic.
Regional versions of the titles are available as additional downloads.
- Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel – A fully-voiced digital comic depicting the events of Metal Gear Solid through beautifully dynamic animated panels.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Digital Graphic Novel – A sequel to Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel, depicting the events of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
- Metal Gear Solid: Screenplay Book
- Metal Gear Solid: Master Book
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Screenplay Book
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Master Book
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Screenplay Book
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Master Book
- Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Screenplay Book
- Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Master Book
The digital books can be accessed from the game’s main menu screen.
- Metal Gear Solid: Digital Soundtrack – Contains a variety of background music and vocal tracks played during Snake’s missions. 20 tracks in total. All tracks can be experienced with an in-game sound player.
Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 News
Rumor: Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 2 to include Metal Gear Solid 4, V, and Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 GalleriesView full gallery
May 24, 2023