SUCCESS Corporation has announced HEAVEN SEEKER, a single-player twin-stick roguelike shooter currently in development for PC (Steam). A release date was not announced. It will support English, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese language options.
A free demo version titled HEAVEN SEEKER Prologue will be available via Steam on September 21. The demo will feature two playable characters—Sophilia and Yasaka—as well as dungeon exploration up to Stage 3, three types of shots, and approximately 20 types of shot customization items.
Here is an overview of the game, via SUCCESS Corporation:
HEAVEN SEEKER: The Savior of This Cruel World a roguelike shooting game. Set in a fantasy world, the player chooses one of several adventurers in search of hidden treasures to begin the search and challenge dungeons. The dungeon interior is randomly generated each time the player enters, so the player must be flexible. Players can freely combine more than 20 customizable items to create their own unique magic and explore the dungeon. The goal is to completely conquer the dungeon through repeated exploration.
- Explore a Dungeon That Changes Each Time You Enter It – This game uses the left stick for movement and the right stick for aiming. It’s a bullet hell shooter where you freely control your character to explore random dungeons. When your HP reaches zero, you will lose all the items you have gained during this exploration. By exploring many times, recognizing room patterns and enemy traits, players gain experience.
- Create Your Own Magic Shot – The shots fired by the player character can be modified by freely combining over 20 customization items. Items are obtained randomly with each exploration, so each time players enter a dungeon, they will fight with a different “personal shot.
- Pixel Art Style Game Visuals – The visuals of this game are all drawn in high-quality pixel art, including player characters, enemies, dungeons, and all other in-game elements. Some elements are not pixel art.
- Japanized Beautiful Girl Characters – In the roguelike genre, which often features Western titles in the style of American comic books, this game will especially appeal to those who like Japanese anime characters.
■ Game Overview
The basic cycle of this game is to traverse the Sky Castle while repeatedly exploring randomly generated dungeons. Players will repeatedly explore, gradually grasping the knack and aiming for a complete conquest of the dungeon.
- Sky Castle Entrance
- Dungeon (Randomly Generated) Conquest – Conquering the dungeon progresses by repeatedly exploring the area and fighting the area boss. There are five areas (plus one hidden area), and as you progress, powerful enemies will appear.
- Area Exploration → Battle with Area Boss – Use the items obtained during exploration to traverse the dungeon. The structure of the dungeon and the items obtained are randomly determined.
- Dungeon Clear or Return – When your HP in the dungeon reaches 0, you will return to the entrance due to exhaustion. (The same happens when you complete the dungeon.) Although you will lose the items you had, new items and skills will be unlocked based on your exploration.
Elements inside the dungeon include:
- Inside the dungeon, you can sometimes get items from treasure chests.
- You may also see NPCs who are trading.
Grimoire and Sidebook System
In this game, you can customize your shots in real time by combining items called “Grimoire” and “Sidebook”. There are over 20 types of sidebooks that can customize your shots, allowing for tens of thousands of customization patterns.
Determines the basic properties of the shot.
- “Magic Shot,” “Slash & Kunai,” “Spirit Arrow”, etc.
Adds special properties to the shot.
- “Barrage” or “Wide”- Increases the number of bullets.
- “Homing” – Tracks enemies.
- “Explosion” – Causes an explosion upon impact.
- “Reflect” – Bullets reflect off walls, etc.
= Freedom in Combining Magic!
“Bullets that are large, have rapid fire, and track enemies”, etc. Let’s advance our exploration advantageously with our own powerful original magic.
To customize a Grimoire, use the Sidebook, which can be found randomly in the dungeon. By placing the Sidebook in the slot of the Grimoire you have, you can give the Grimoire new properties!
It may start out as a simple shotgun that shoots arrow-shaped projectiles forward… but as you continue to upgrade it, it can gradually transform into more powerful magic!
Which Sidebook (customization item) you receive is randomly determined each time you explore.
How to Play
This game uses a key configuration based on twin-stick controls, where you move with the left stick and aim with the right stick. As you move around the dungeon, you can aim at attacking enemies and destroy them with shots.
In the world of Pentagaia, there were five countries that originated from five different realms.
The land of wizards and magic, which prospered through magical technology—Magic Kingdom.
The land of shrine maidens and samurais, adorned with martial arts and the four seasons—Eastern Kingdom.
The land of elves, blessed by the grace of the World Tree—Divine Forest Kingdom.
The mechanized nation, where advanced science and technology reign supreme—Machine Nation.
The land of wilderness and sandstorms, ruled by the demon race—Demon Clan Nation.
The rulers of each nation sent explorers to Sky Castle, where the secrets of Pentagaia were said to be, in hopes of returning to their home worlds. These explorers became known to the people as “Heaven Seekers”…
- Global Integration – About 150 years ago, an event occurred. One morning, five nations from different worlds came together and merged into a single world. It is said that this is how Pentagaia was created.
- Discovery of Sky Castle – A flying castle found in the center of Pentagaia It is said that seekers from the Demon Nation once discovered the “Secret of Pentagaia” in its deepest part.
- The Pentagaia War – The “secret” that lay dormant in the Castle of Heaven was a discovery that shook the world. Around this secret, a time of war came to Pentagaia. In the end, half of the Demon Nation was scorched earth.
- Age of Seekers – Eventually, the war ended and a peace treaty was signed. Whatever the “secret” was, it too disappeared into the darkness of history. And then came the era of the Seekers in Pentagaia.
“Oh my, what a cute little one. First, I must freeze you as you are. Now, you must not move. Just stay still. If only half of you freeze, wouldn’t be good for either of us, would it?”
A Seeker from the Magic Nation.
She is a mage belonging to the research institute of the Magic Nation, with experiments as a hobby. She’s a bit crazy, but she doesn’t know it.
One day she wakes up in the Sky Castle and realizes that she has forgotten the reason for her appointment and how she got here.
She remembers only two things: That she was chosen to be a Seeker, and that she must return to the Magic Nation alive.
To complete her quest and return to her homeland, she will challenge the Sky Castle.
The Magic Shot, which she has from the start, is well balanced in terms of power and speed, making it easy to use.
All wizards of the nation know this magic. Despite this, the society of the Magic Nation does not have any unruly shooting incidents. That’s because the Magic Senate maintains strict discipline.
“No one remembers the original world. The people of the Eastern Nation have taken root in Pentagaia. So why challenge Heaven’s Castle? Because the desire to reach the pinnacle of martial arts is unbearably burning.”
A Seeker from the Eastern Nation.
A young martial artist proclaimed to have “no enemies in the nation”. Not satisfied with this fame, she decided to chase the shadow of a hero.
The Hero of Slaughter, who once led a revolution in the Eastern Nation… A swordsman who holds the same title of “No Enemies in the Nation” as she does.
In a world without war, there is no true martial art, and without true martial art, the apex of the sword is invisible. Only slaughter paints the path of the sword red. So the swordsman left a poem, and the girl is infatuated with the poem.
To hone her own martial skills and reach the pinnacle, she challenges the Sky Castle.
The “Slash & Kunai” she has from the beginning not only throws kunai with great force, but also unleashes a slash.
It is said that the blade stroke of the exorcism swordsmanship handed down in the East has taken the form of magic and turned into a grimoire. Strange things happen in the Sky Castle.