The game will be available in the following editions:
- Standard Edition ($39.99 / £34.99 / €39.99, physical and digital) – Digital and physical preorders get the “Traditional Katana Pack” including two sword skins and two hand skins.
- Deluxe Edition ($49.99 / £39.99 / €49.99, digital-only) – Includes everything in the base edition, along with four additional hand skins, four extra sword skins, and a personalized hand hologram displaying their current username.
- Brutal Edition ($69.99 / £59.99 / €69.99, digital-only) – Includes everything in the Deluxe Edition, along with 48 hours of early access starting October 24. Brutal Edition also comes with the Season Pass (worth $19.99, featuring a new Game Mode and four “Asset Packs”), “Animated Skin (Sword / Hand),” and “Motorcycle Skin.”
Here is an overview of the game, via 505 Games:
Ghostrunner II is the highly anticipated hardcore FPP slasher set one year after the events of Ghostrunner. Blood will run in this post-apocalyptic cyberpunk future that takes place after the fall of the Keymaster, a tyrant who ruled over Dharma Tower, the last refuge of humanity. The player has the power to shape the future of humanity and take on the violent cyber ninja AI cult that has taken shape outside Dharma Tower, making for a truly epic and unforgettable experience.
Featuring incredible boss fights, a deeper exploration of the world beyond Dharma Tower, worthwhile combat improvements, nonlinear levels with complex motorbike sections, exciting new modes, and all the action you loved about Ghostrunner. The game introduces new skills, allowing players to be more creative and take on even the most demanding encounters with greater accessibility. However, enemies in Ghostrunner II behave uniquely depending on the skills used on them, providing a fresh challenge with each encounter.
The game’s level design is more versatile, with multiple ways to play. Boss fights are more interactive, giving players freedom to choose how to survive battles against the toughest opponents. The player progression system has been completely redone, providing opportunities to experiment and customize gameplay. The new dialog system allows players the choice to dive deeper into the lore and plot. There are many new enemy types, including some that are redone to fit the gameplay. The new interactive environment includes exploding barrels, destructible walls, neutral entities that can help the player, and more improvements that add excitement to combat.
With its new features, Ghostrunner II offers even more replay value, as players can now play the campaign, climb the leaderboards, experiment with their playstyle, and try worthwhile new modes. The game is a must-play for fans of the original Ghostrunner and anyone looking for an intense and immersive action experience.
In Ghostrunner, players ascend humanity’s last refuge, Dharma Tower—a city plagued by violence, poverty, and chaos, ruled over by the Keymaster, a vicious tyrant. After defeating the ruthless Keymaster and liberating the people of Dharma Tower, humanity is finally free to make its own future.
The Keymaster’s death, however, leads to a power vacuum that is quickly filled by new parties. Once again, Dharma Tower becomes a dangerous place, filled with violent gangs and secretive cult members. Thankfully, with the rise of the Interface Council, there is still hope.
Ghostrunner II opens a year after the events of the first game. Players join the Interface in their quest to bring order to this futuristic dystopian world. When the death of one Ghostrunner is mourned, another one is about to be reborn…
- Fast-Paced Push-Forward Action – Regardless of its difficulty, setting, or story, the heart and soul of Ghostrunner II is fast, agile push-forward combat and platforming. Mainline assets will play up the concept of being an unstoppable killing machine as an emotional draw for new players and a reminder to existing Ghostrunner players of the potent power fantasy they experienced in the previous title.
- Earn Your Kills – We don’t shy away from a core tenant of Ghostrunner—the ultimate power fantasy is the one you earn; by adapting to and mastering the gameplay—players earn their kills and progression. With new abilities and upgrade paths, players are empowered to tackle challenging combat and platforming sections and discover your own ultimate killing machine.
- Quintessential Cyberpunk – Ghostrunner II‘s setting, tone, story, characters and music continue a long pop-culture tradition of celebrating gritty cyberpunk – powerful heroes, monolithic villains, brutalist architecture, neon lights, dark alleys; themes of dissent, despotism, and the struggle to define what makes us human – all set to a tailormade synth-wave soundtrack from some of the genre’s biggest artists.
- Humanity’s Savior – Ghostrunner II has a stronger and more prominent narrative. Players are entrusted with a noble cause—save humanity—as Jack’s “brothers,” exiled Ghostrunners, seek to destroy the last remnants of mankind. We will leverage the compelling story to emotionally engage new players and provide existing players with a cool continuation of Ghostrunner‘s plot.
Key Game Mechanics
- One-Hit Kill – Players and most enemies have a single hit point., it’s a crucial part of the game’s combat and power fantasy loops. Instant restarts and frequent checkpoints avoid player frustration or feeling like they’re being punished.
- Extraordinary Mobility – Mobility is the cornerstone of Ghostrunner II‘s push-forward movement philosophy. Wall running, sliding, dashing, ledge boosting, grappling etc. allow players to engage in combat, strategize their attacks and react precisely.
- Special Skills and Abilities – Ghostrunner II brings back fan-favorite abilities allowing players to gain the upper hand in combat and more tools to the game’s toolbox, allowing players to engage in combat in unique ways—including a new block and perfect parry system.
Watch a new trailer below. View a new set of promotional artwork at the gallery.