Publisher Humble Games and developer Children of Morta Dead Mage has announced Wizard of Legend II for PC (Steam). Original Wizard of Legend developer Contingent99 is providing guidance to Dead Mage. A release date was not announced.
Here is an overview of the game, via Humble Games:
In an age of myth and magic, ambitious wizards from around the world have assembled to undertake a perilous trial: Journey to the Floating Lands, and prove themselves worthy to command the power of the fabled Chalice of Immortality. Many will try. Most will fail. Only those who have truly mastered the chaotic, shifting elemental forces of Arcana will become a Wizard of Legend!
Prepare to face an all-new series of unpredictably perilous trials in Wizard of Legend II—the action-packed follow-up to the acclaimed dungeon-delving original, featuring vibrant new 3D visuals and fast-paced up to four-player online co-op. Wield familiar and new Arcana, experiment with devious new spell combinations, and seek immortality as you return again and again (and again) to master ever-changing rogue-lite challenges of the Chalice.
- Journey Back to an Era of Legendary Trial – Put your spellcraft skills to the test in the Floating Lands—a shifting sorcerous gauntlet conjured forth by Hieronymus, Lanova’s wizard supreme, to find an inheritor to the Chalice’s power. Get to know the peculiar and powerful members of the wizarding council as they oversee, guide, or throw a twist into your trials.
- Unleash your Arcana – Harness the power of familiar and new Arcana—attacks that tame the land’s magical chaotic forces into the form of fiery projectiles, magical melee strikes, swirling tempests, and more. Discover powers during your trial that change your Arcana (and your play) in unexpected ways. Mix, match, experiment, and master your favorite combinations…until you find a new favorite on your next run.
- Master the Elements – In Wizard of Legend II, your wizard takes on the aspects of fire, water, earth, lightning, and air, adding new layers of possibility and potential. Focus on the raw damage of fire or the unbreakability of earth. Move quicker, sling Arcana faster, or seek balance as each trial demands.
- Team up for Trials Online – Summon friends from around the world to face the challenges of the Chalice in the Wizard of Legend II‘s new, easy to get into co-op for up to 4 players, and unleash magic’s full chaotic potential. Whether you choose to play as a party or go it alone, you’ll have a legendary time.
- Persevere and Prevail – Each treacherous trial is unlike the last, and the odds are not in your favor. Learn from your predecessors’ failures through a persistent rogue-lite progression system that grants more arcane options to your next initiate. Each trial takes you one step closer to becoming the Wizard of Legend!
In a roundtable interview, Humble Games head of content strategy Becky Sayers explained why a new development team is working on the sequel.
“The Contingent99 team wanted to work on other projects, quite simply,” Sayers said. “They entrusted Humble with the brand and we’re very thankful to them for doing so. They were on board and part of the decision-making process around the next team that we engaged with. Anyone who has played Children of Morta know how excellent Dead Mage is at crafting a strong roguelike experience, so they just seemed like a natural fit. We knew that they were the right team to help expand the vision, they had a great pitch. The original developer saw that pitch from the beginning and was on board.”
Sayers continued, “In terms of the consulting role, the teams have open communication channels. Sometimes the Dead Mage team has questions about the different Arcanas, the lore of the game—ultimately the goal is to maintain a lot of that charm from the game and that really fun fast-paced combat experience. And [Contingent99] is really there to offer support and guidance along the way with any questions the development team has.”
Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.