Publisher Tribute Games and developer Zenovia will release side-scrolling action platformer Steel Assault for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on June 15, the companies announced. The PlayStation Store and Microsoft Store pages are available now.
Steel Assault first launched for Switch and PC via Steam on September 28, 2021.
Here is an overview of the game, via Zenovia:
Punch, whip, and zipline your way through a post-apocalyptic America in this 16-bit retro-style action platformer! Play as Taro Takahashi, a resistance soldier on a revenge mission against the dictator who lords over the ashes.
The late 2030s were the era of radiological warfare. The Second Pacific War saw the debut of the thorium bomb: a radiation dispersal weapon which caused almost no visible destruction, but which could render entire cities uninhabitable for several years, preserving their resources for specialized robotic units to sweep in and pick them apart (while their human populations fled or died off).
America’s cities were decimated. One man rose to rule over the ashes: Magnus Pierce, a famous inventor and roboticist turned army general. His regime began a large-scale purge of all its real and suspected enemies, including protagonist Taro Takahashi’s parents. Taro grew up to be a core member of the Daybreak Resistance, an underground insurgency led by Hans Albrecht and Sonia Singh. In early 2046, General Pierce’s soldiers started refurbishing and deploying old nuclear, military, and robotic tech, and they started restoring the power grids of various abandoned cities which they now moved to occupy. You, Taro, are sent to investigate…
- Fast-Paced 2D Platforming – Dynamic, fluid side-scrolling combat with a stylish moveset and tons of enemies and bosses to fight.
- 16-Bit Post-Apocalyptic Style – A beautifully fleshed-out sci-fi world, rendered in detailed pixel art and backed by fiery FM-synthesized tunes.
- Unique Zipline Action – A new twist on classic grappling-hook mechanics, opening up fun movement possibilities.
- Classic Gaming Experience – Beautifully hand-crafted stage-based action with optimal screen resolution for CRT gaming.
- Gratifying Arcade Challenge – Enjoy a quick playthrough on an easier mode… or put your skills and resilience to the test with the one-credit-clear Arcade Mode.
Watch a new trailer below.