Developers Bloober Team and Anshar Studios have released the cinematic introduction for first-person horror game Layers of Fear, as well as announced that a PC demo will be available via Steam on May 15 at 8:00 a.m. PT / 11:00 a.m. ET.
Here is an overview of the game, via Bloober Team:
Built on Unreal Engine 5, Layers of Fear (2023) supports ray-tracing, HDR, and 4K resolution, making use of the Lumen system to achieve superb graphical fidelity and create a meticulously-refined horror journey that’s as immersive as it is frightening.
Layers of Fear (2023) presents a unified vision of horror reimagined, and will be the ultimate experience for both returning fans and newcomers to the franchise. Featuring the original Layers of Fear, Layers of Fear 2, as well as all downloadable content (including a new chapter entitled “The Final Note” that provides an alternate perspective on the first game’s storyline), the game will also introduce the never-before-told story of The Writer, a harrowing tale that ties each entry in the series together.
Prepare to make peace with the unknown as you delve into the twisted and eerie stories of three obsession-driven artists in this first-person psychedelic horror game.
Layers of Fear (2023) introduces new core gameplay mechanics that elevate and expand the player’s experience. One such improvement is the addition of the lantern, a useful tool that will prove essential in confronting the fears that lurk within the game’s story. The music of the game has also been updated, as Arek Reikowski, the two-time nominee in the Best Soundtrack category of the Hollywood Music in Media Awards, and winner of the Digital Dragons Best Soundtrack award for The Medium, has composed a hypnotic score that adds an extra layer of tension to the game. His hauntingly beautiful compositions—paired with the enhanced visual fidelity made possible by Unreal—will leave players sitting on the edge of their seats with chills shooting down their spines.
- The Ultimate Layers of Fear Experience – The series’ crowning work casts an overarching narrative over the entire franchise.
- Horror Reimagined – Everything in the Layers of Fear series melds together into a single experience, including all downloadable content, so players can find all the answers they seek.
- Shocking New Looks – Enhanced with Unreal Engine 5’s improved technology. This version offers a more immersive horror experience with the addition of ray-tracing, HDR, 4K resolution, and the Lumen system.
- Psychological Horror – A grim but gripping first-person psychedelic horror game focused on tense exploration, puzzle-solving, and immersive storytelling. Discover what lies in the depths of the human psyche with this mature, cathartic game.
- New Tricks – New brand-new core mechanics that will be introduced to Layers of Fear and its sequel, as well as additional features, so all the chapters and stories will blend seamlessly
- Horror Through the Many Lenses of Art – Explore the depths of obsession with three different stories of craft-obsessed protagonists (The Painter, The Actor, and The Writer) which are interwoven to create a truly immersive experience and gripping storyline
- Classical, Ominous Soundtrack – Hauntingly beautiful soundtrack composed by the highly-acclaimed musician Arek Reikowski. He has composed a hypnotic score that adds an extra layer of tension to the game and will leave you on the edge of your seat
Watch the footage below.