Here is an overview of the game, via Broken Rules:
Gibbon: Beyond the Trees is a hand-drawn adventure following a lost gibbon as they embark on a dangerous journey into unknown lands. Race to freedom in liberation mode, or play through an hour-long narrative that captures the real struggle of living creatures around the world.
Master the gibbon’s art of brachiation (swinging from branch to branch) at high speed, building momentum, pulling off spectacular somersaults, and launching yourself higher and further into the air with the help of your fellow Gibbons, feeling the thrill and exhilaration of life in an untamed jungle.
- Apple Design Award – Social Impact Winner 2022
- Bitsummit – International Award Winner 2022
- Tokyo Game Show – Sense of Wonder Night Pocky Award Winner
- NHK Japan Prize – Digital Media Division 1st Runner Up
- Experience free-flowing dynamic movement based on brachiation, the way real gibbons swing through the trees.
- Master acrobatic moves, including launching from another gibbon’s hands in mid air.
- A touching adventure of a family of gibbons trying to survive amid an encroaching human threat.
- Play through an hourlong adventure in story mode, or race to freedom through a procedurally generated jungle in liberation mode.
- Compete in the leaderboards and see how far you can swing, backflip and slide in Daily Run mode.
- Stunning 2D hand painted visuals that breathe life into a rapidly vanishing world.
- Explore varied environments, from the wild jungles of Southeast Asia to the hectic human world beyond.
- Collect all encyclopedia entries and find out more about gibbons and their habitat.
- Gibbon: Beyond the Trees deals with challenging but acute environmental topics, including deforestation, poaching and climate change.
Watch a new trailer below.