Sea of Stars will launch for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam in summer 2023, developer Sabotage Studio announced.
The studio also released a new video featuring composer Yasunori Mitsuda, who shares some thoughts on Sea of Stars and production, while his first track “Coral Cascades” plays in the background.
Here is an overview of the game, via Sabotage Studio:
Developed by Sabotage, the studio behind the award-winning The Messenger, Sea of Stars is a turn-based RPG inspired by the classics, chock-full of endearing characters and unrestrained exploration, paying homage to genre’s greats while modernizing the overall experience.
Combat challenges players to coordinate adaptive strategies while thwarting opponents with pre-emptive attacks, rewarding carefully timed strikes and interrupted advances. With six playable party members distinct in fighting style and personality, experimentation is key to discovering devastatingly powerful new match-ups. There’s no need to grind to unlock a character’s true potential, either, as character progression is balanced to flow along with the story. Sea of Stars‘ journey prioritizes meaningful encounters over enduring dozens of the same fights.
Sea of Stars‘ compelling world unites players with Valere and Zale, aspiring youths training to become Solstice Warriors, the land’s final line of defense against The Fleshmancer’s monstrous creations. A twisting narrative ensures their mission is anything but simple, making for an engrossing, wondrous tale surrounding a world’s looming apocalyptic threat.
- Dynamic Combat - With every encounter harboring threats deadly to the careless tactician, victory demands sharp timing, anticipation, and pre-emptive counters to ultra powerful attacks.
- Engaging Exploration – Climb, dive, swim and leap across a lush world brimming with life and hidden secrets, enjoying the journey between battles as much as the action itself.
- Gripping Story – Become acquainted with six playable characters with rich backstories, personalities, and varied motives as the mysteries of a troubled world come to light.
- All Fun, No Tedium – Enjoy combat without fear of hitting a wall and having to grind for experience or items; in Sea of Stars, defeat requires a change in battle plans, not hours of repetition to better the odds in a rematch.
- Rich Universe – A sprawling, lively land, Sea of Stars‘ hosting region can be enjoyed as a standalone story or a supplemental adventure for fans of The Messenger.
- Radiant Lighting – Dynamic light effects pairs with a world-influencing day / night cycle to make every area feel truly alive, pushing the traditional visual limits of classically-styled 2D pixel-art games; the only way to properly tell the story of heroes conjuring the powers of the Sun and the Moon.
Watch the new video below.