Colossal Cave will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, Switch, PC via Steam, Epic Games Store, Humble Store, Itch.io, and Amazon, and Quest 2 on January 19, 2023 for $39.99, developer Cygnus Entertainment announced. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions will follow in Q1 2023. It will support 13 languages, including English, Arabic, Japanese, German, Italian, Portuguese, French, Spanish, Polish, Chinese, Korean, Thai, and Russian.
“The original Colossal Cave Adventure, a 2019 Video Game Hall of Fame recipient, will forever hold a special place in the hearts of Ken and I,” said Cygnus Entertainment founder and lead designer Roberta Williams in a press release. “We’ve built this world with all of the love and wonder of the first game, and hope the next generation of gamers can experience the same magical touch it had on our lives.”
Here is an overview of the game, via Cygnus Entertainment:
Colossal Cave is a game created for fans of action and adventure games alike. Rooted in themes of exploration, Colossal Cave is a thrilling experience where players encounter engaging characters and challenging puzzles in a fully-immersive world. Roberta Williams is known for the King’s Quest series of games, and similar to that series, she wants Colossal Cave to be enjoyed by gamers of any age. Many parents have fond memories of the original game, Colossal Cave Adventure, and will look forward to introducing it to a new generation.
- Faithful to the original text adventure by Will Crowther and Don Woods.
- A completely immersive handcrafted 3D world to explore in virtual reality.
- First-person action-adventure game, focused on exploration.
- Player interacts with objects and treasures to solve puzzles and challenges.
- Over 143 locations in-game.
- Features a custom soundscape and music produced by Grammy-nominated musician, Dan Policar.
- Adapted by Roberta Williams, best selling designer of King’s Quest, Phantasmagoria, and many other titles.
- Ken and Roberta Williams, and the original Colossal Cave Adventure, are known to millions of fans globally.
Watch a new trailer below.