Crunchyroll has announced Hime’s Quest, an 8-bit action adventure game featuring its mascot character Hime for Game Boy Color and PC browser. The Game Boy Color version will be available for a limited time only via pre-order. The PC version will be “free-to-play and download on supported browsers” when it launches in December.
Pre-orders for the Game Boy Color will run from November 18 to December 23. Priced at $44.99, it will be available in “Crunchyroll Orange” at the Crunchyroll Store or “Limited Run Blue” at Limited Run Games.
Hime’s Quest will be playable for the first time at the Crunchyroll booth at Anime NYC, which runs from November 18 to 20 at the Jacob Javits Center in Manhattan.
“Crunchyroll wanted to capture the nostalgia of 90s pop-culture, a shared touchstone for anime fans, and we are thrilled to transport Crunchyroll-Hime to that era in an adventure developed on fan-favorite hardware from that time,” said Crunchyroll senior vice president of emerging business Terry Li in a press release. “Hime is our beloved princess mascot, and we are excited to see her lore expanded in ways that speak to fans’ love for anime and gaming with Hime’s Quest.”
Here is an overview of the game, via Crunchyroll:
Take control as Crunchyroll-Hime to save the anime club from Y2K in her first-ever video game: Hime’s Quest. Set in 1999, something electric is in the air. A malevolent force has crept into New Crunchy City, wreaking havoc on its technology, and tragically destroying the Anime Club’s precious DVD / VCR combo player. Can you root out the dastardly cretin brazen enough to ruin their meeting?
- Adventure through haunted forests, mirage-filled deserts and more in Crunchyroll-Hime’s largest quest yet.
- Hack and slash your way through dungeons and face-off against totally buggin fiends in league with Y2K.
- Kick-back with Crunchyroll-Hime’s friends in the anime club or pay a visit to spooky manga creator Junji Ito who is currently OBSESSED with spirals.
- Some games let you pet the dog, this one lets you *try* to pet the cat. Can you succeed and give Crunchyroll-Hime’s best friend Yuzu a pat on the head?
- PLAY IT LOUD! with a chiptune soundtrack by future (time paradox averted) award-winning 8-bit composer and musician Protodome.
Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.