Publisher All in! Games and developer Naraven Games have delayed first-person “tragicomic adventure” Backfirewall_ from its previously planned 2022 release window to Q1 2023. It will be available for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam. A demo is available now for PC via Steam.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Hello and welcome to Backfirewall_, a first-person tragicomic adventure set inside a smartphone. You are the update assistant. Solve wacky puzzles to counter the update and save the previous operating system from deletion. The fate of the System is in your hands!
~A tragicomedy in your smartphone.~
Press enter to update your smartphone…
>WAIT A NANOSECOND! I’m talking to you, update assistant!
>I’m OS9, the operating system of this phone, and I am not going to update. Help me stop it!
>Besides, not everything here is broken enough to be erased! Here, let me show you some awesome features of the system:
- Clever Puzzles – Review terminal errors in RAM, party in the Speakers’ exclusive nightclub, navigate through the Wi-Fi bureaucracy, and explore other areas of a smartphone.
- Cheat-Codes to Manipulate the Environment – Hunt down or create bugs, trim binary trees, master music-controlled platforms, collect errors, and delete data using special cheat-codes.
- A Variety of App-Characters – Gossip with quirky pieces of software—the sassy Photos, the insecure Social Media F, or the neglected Health, among others—and uncover their distinct side stories.
- Numerous Collectibles – Collect emails scattered about to discover a parallel story of the mysterious phone User.
- Unproductive and Useless Humor – Enjoy meta satirical humor and breaking the fourth wall.
Watch a new trailer below.