Alone in the Dark reboot announced for PS5, Xbox Series, and PCPrologue "Grace in the Dark" playable at Gamescom 2022.
Publisher THQ Nordic and developer Pieces Interactive have announced Alone in the Dark, a reboot of the third-person survival horror series for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and PC (Steam). A release date was not announced, but the game has been in development since late 2019 and is currently in the alpha state.
A playable teaser, dubbed “Grace in the Dark” and featuring its own original storyline, will be playable at Gamescom 2022 from August 24 to 28. A prologue to the main game, it will star Grace from Alone in the Dark 2. THQ Nordic has not said whether it plans to release this playable teaser outside of the event, but it is a completely separate story from the main game, so it will likely see a home release.
Here is an overview overview of the game, via THQ Nordic:
Return to Derceto Manor in this reimagination of Alone in the Dark, a love letter to the 90s cult classic horror game. Discovering that her uncle has gone missing, Emily Hartwood goes looking for him with the help of private investigator Edward Carnby. Arriving at Derceto Manor, a home for the mentally fatigued, they encounter strange residents, portals to nightmarish worlds, dangerous monsters—and ultimately a plot of rising evil and its followers.
- A classic horror experience, featuring combat, puzzle, exploration, and story.
- While presenting a completely original story, we incorporate characters, places, and themes from the 90s original trilogy.
- Play as Edward or Emily and uncover Derceto’s mysteries from two perspectives, including completely different cutscenes and levels.
- Set in the gothic American south in the 1920s, the game features a noir-setting with classical Lovecraftian horror elements, where the familiar meets the surreal.
- Experience a deep psychological story that goes beyond the realms of the imaginable, by Mikael Hedberg, cult horror writer of SOMA and Amnesia.
- Trapped inside the gothic mansion, you encounter mind bending anomalies and fight back the evil that has infiltrated the house…
- Development: Pieces Interactive
- Director and Writer: Mikael Hedberg (Amnesia, SOMA)
- Doom Jazz Legend: Jason Kohnen
- Monster Design: Guy Davis
- Cutscenes and Characters: metricminds / Gate21
Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.