Cooperative kaiju beat ’em up game Dawn of the Monsters will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam in early 2022, publisher WayForward and developer 13AM Games announced.
Here is an overview of the game, via 13AM Games:
Dawn of the Monsters is a cooperative kaiju beat ’em up coming in 2021.
Players take control of powerful monsters in order to take on the evil Nephilim—a horde of creatures that are hellbent on destroying the planet. Liberate four major metropolitan areas, from Toronto to Tokyo, in this epic action game.
Featuring beautiful 2.5D graphics inspired by the works of Mike Mignola, bone-crunching combat with the depth of a fighter, RPG upgrades, and fully destructible environments. Couch cooperative play is bigger and badder than ever before.
The following gameplay details were also revealed, via an IGN preview:
- There are four playable monsters: Megadon, Ganira, Aegis Prime, and Tempest Galahad.
- Each monster has Brutal Rage abilities, Cataclysm Attacks, and finishing moves.
- Monster designs are by Godzilla character creator Shiji Nishikawa and Godzilla comic book artist Matt Frank.
- There are 35 missions.
- There are over a dozen regular enemy types.
- Cooperative play supports two players.
- You can customize your kaiju.
Watch the trailer below.
Update 11/04/21 at 1:40 p.m.: WayForward has sent out new screenshots and an official fact sheet.
Here is the fact sheet:
Dawn of the Monsters enlists players in DAWN (Defense Alliance Worldwide Network), an elite organization created to stop giant, invading beasts known as Nephilim. As members of DAWN, players will take control of four titans of their own, each offering unique moves and abilities: Megadon, the enormous fire-breathing lizard; colossal crustacean Ganira, capable of summoning minions; Aegis Prime, a giant superhero with incredible combo capabilities; and Tempest Galahad, a massive mech specializing in long-range electrical attacks.
Each playable monstrosity has a variety of Rage skills (including some that inflict elemental status damage), as well as meter-based Cataclysm Attacks and brutal Execution finishers. And when that isn’t enough, you can rip a building out of the ground and use it to pound the Nephilim into the dirt.
More than 35 missions will take players around the globe to fully destructible locations in Canada, Egypt, Japan, and beyond, where they’ll tear through enemy hordes, obliterate monster nests, battle gargantuan bosses, and earn DNA augments that can be used to power-up their stats and abilities.
The awesome action is supported by a team of all-star talent. In addition to the giant-monster enthusiasts at 13AM Games, the game features kaiju designs by legendary Godzilla character creator Shiji Nishikawa and acclaimed Godzilla comic book artist Matt Frank, as well as artwork by renowned illustrator EJ Su (Transformers, Rise of Ultraman) and a voice cast that includes AmaLee (Attack on Titan), Cristina Valenzuela (Shantae and the Seven Sirens, RWBY), Xander Mobus (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate), and Patrick Seitz (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure), among others.
- Four unique, monstrous playable characters: Megadon, Ganira, Aegis Prime, and Tempest Galahad.
- Earth-shattering monster-against-monster one- or two-player co-op beat ’em up action.
- Fully destructible cities based on real-world locations.
- Brutal Rage abilities, devastating Cataclysm Attacks, and merciless finishing moves.
- Fierce bosses and dozens of different enemy types.
- Customize your monsters with DNA augments!
View the screenshots at the gallery.