Publisher Interplay Entertainment and developer Black Isle Studios will release Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch on May 7 for $29.99 / £29.99 / €29.99, followed by PC and mobile later in 2021, the companies announced. It features enhanced graphics and up to 4K resolution on supported platforms, as well as local cooperative play.
Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance first launched for PlayStation 2 in December 2001, followed by Xbox in October 2002, GameCube in November 2002, and Game Boy Advance in February 2004.
Here is an overview of the game, via Interplay Entertainment:
This revival of the original Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance puts the ‘action’ back into the action-RPG genre, plunging players into the heart of Faerun. As well as looting and leveling, players must actively defend against and dodge attacks, evade deadly traps and fight hordes of monsters ranging from swarming kobolds to the iconic and all-consuming Gelatinous Cube.
Featuring three customizable heroes, this epic adventure spans dozens of locations across three massive acts, through the dungeons beneath the city of Baldur’s Gate, to the peak of Burning Eye mountain, deep into the Underdark and beyond.
With a PC and mobile launch planned, now’s your time to grab a friend or brave a dungeon alone and explore the western coast of the Forgotten Realms.
Far-flung Future Features
- A re-release of the beloved console classic, now with 4K scaling on the Xbox or PlayStation 4 Pro.
- Three race and class combinations. Play as a dwarven fighter (Kromlech), a human archer (Vahn) or an elven sorceress (Adrianna).
- 11 vividly rendered spells, including Magic Missile, Otuluk’s Icy Sphere, and Mordenkainen’s Sword.
- More than 40 different types of monsters and boss villains.
- Over 25 active and passive skills to buff your adventurer’s ability to deal and take damage.
- Varied environments, from the sewers beneath the city of Baldur’s Gate, to the Sunset Mountains, to the Marshes of Chelimber.
- Four difficulty levels to challenge even the hardiest adventurer; “Easy,” “Normal,” “Hard,” and “Extreme.”
- Fully voice-acted by an all-star cast.
- Local cooperative support!
Watch the launch trailer below.
Update 05/07/21 at 9:40 a.m.: View a set of screenshots at the gallery.
Update 05/07/21 at 12:20 p.m.: The Switch version has been delayed a few days “due to an unforeseen issue on the Nintendo Switch store.”