Based on Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth, the sequel has evolved significantly with new storylines, a reconstructed battle system, and more.
The latest issue of weekly Famitsu, due out on April 1, contains the first preview of the game, including details on gameplay systems and characters, and a developer interview.
Update 03/31/21 at 1:58 a.m.: Information from the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu have leaked. Here are the new details:
- The game is priced at 8,580 yen for the standard edition and 11,880 yen for the limited edition.
- There is no mention of the developer, so it may or may not be Tamsoft (developer of the first Utawarerumono: ZAN).
- Oshtor (Haku) is voiced by Keiji Fujiwara / Kenataro Tone.
- The game is a reconstruction of Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth as an action RPG, including full voice-overs and new scenarios.
- A skill board has been added to character development.
- Chain attacks do not consume energy and can be used again after a cooldown period.
- There is online cooperative play.
- The theme song is sung by Suara.
- The base area is a mansion in Ennakamuy. In addition to story progression, there are RPG elements such as cooking, currency exchange that affects internal affairs and expeditions, and internal affairs management.
- There is a challenge dungeon called “Toranoana.”
- The special costume downloadable content from the original Utawarerumono: ZAN can be used in Utawarerurmono: ZAN 2.
And below are tidbits from the developer interview:
- The PlayStation 5 version began development immediately after its launch, so while they have yet to fully grasp it, development itself has been smooth. It is a powerful device that they hope to continue developing for in the future.
- Utawarerumono: ZAN 2 lowers its threshold as an action game compared to the first game, allowing users to experience the action more easily.
- Adventure parts have been completely revamped. Everything uses 3D presentation to produce an animated story.
- Outside of the main story, there are new scenarios called “Warrior Legends.”
- Auditions were held for Oshtor (Haku)’s role in the new scenario. Since this is a character loved by both Aquaplus and its fans, Aquaplus decided to ask Kentaro Tone after careful consideration.
- Shield has been added for ally characters as well.