Guilty Gear: Strive will launch for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC via Steam on April 9, 2021, publisher and developer Arc System Works announced during the “Guilty Gear Official Live Stream.” The Deluxe and Ultimate Editions will launch for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 three days in advance on April 6, 2021.
Arc System Works also announced new character Giovanna (voiced by Mayumi Shinani) and returning character Anji Mito as the latest fighters to join the Guilty Gear: Strive roster of playable characters. The game will ship with 15 playable characters, with five more to join the roster post-launch via the Guilty Gear: Strive Season Pass 1. Taiten Kusunoki was also confirmed as the Japanese voice actor for Nagoriyuki.
Get the latest details below.
■ About Guilty Gear: Strive
Guilty Gear: Strive is the latest entry in the critically acclaimed Guilty Gear fighting game franchise. Created by Daisuke Ishiwatari and developed by Arc System Works, Guilty Gear: Strive upholds the series’ reputation for groundbreaking hybrid 2D / 3D cel-shaded graphics and intense, rewarding gameplay.
There is a fully voiced story mode diving deep into the Guilty Gear universe, new characters joining fan favorites, and robust rollback net code.
- Amazing Graphics and Animations – The cutting-edge 2D / 3D hybrid graphics pioneered in the Guilty Gear series have been raised to the next level in Guilty Gear: Strive. The new artistic direction and improve character animations will go beyond anything you’ve seen before in a fighting game!
- New Revolution in Fighting Games! – Guilty Gear: Strive brings a number of new and innovative game play mechanics designed to allow players new to the series to quickly learn the fundamentals while maintaining the deep, creative gameplay Guilty Gear is praised for. New additions to the series such as a wall-breaking mechanic will allow for new and exciting approaches to battle.
- The Fate of the Universe Will Be Determined… – The story of Guilty Gear, spanning over 20 years, will finally come to a conclusion in Guilty Gear: Strive. The trials and tribulations of the series’ heroes and villains will finally be resolved. Discover the astonishing truth awaiting at the end of all things.
■ Release Date and Pre-Order Start Date
The standard edition of Guilty Gear: Strive will launch for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC via Steam on April 9, 2021. Deluxe Edition and Ultimate Edition buyers on PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 will have three days early access* beginning April 6, 2021. Pre-orders open October 12**.
*In early access, 13 out of the 15 total characters will be playable in all offline modes. For Story Mode, only the prologue will be playable.
**PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 physical edition pre-orders will be available at retailers nationwide. PlayStation 4 digital edition pre-orders will be available via the PlayStation Store. PlayStation 5 and PC (Steam) digital edition pre-orders will begin at a later date.
■ New Character
Giovanna (voiced by Mayumi Shintani)
- Height: 170cm
- Weight: 62kg
- Blood Type: O
- Birthdate: November 6
- Birthplace: Brazil
- Hobby: Looking at the moon
- Values: Rei (her wolf spirit companion), professionalism
- Dislikes: The smell of tobacco and alcohol
She is an officer in the special operations unit that protects the President of the United States.
She is careful with her words, but still manages to come off as rude and irreverent due to her attitude.
Deep down, though, she means well. She is especially friendly with children and animals.
During battle, she allows her wolf spirit companion “Rei” to possess her and amazes her opponent with inhuman speed.
■ Game Editions
PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4
Standard Edition (Physical) Standard Edition (Digital) Deluxe Edition (Digital) Ultimate Edition (Physical)* Ultimate Edition (Digital) Release Date April 9, 2021 April 9, 2021 April 6, 2021 April 6, 2021 April 6, 2021 Suggested Retail Price $59.99 / 8,580 yen $59.99 / 8,580 yen $84.99 / 11,550 yen $99.99 / 13,750 yen $99.99 / 13,750 yen Main Game ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Early Purchase Bonus “Guilty Gear: Strive Special Colors for Sol and Ky”** ○ (initial print only) ○ (until April 23) ○ (until April 23) ○ (initial print only) ○ (until April 23) One-Day Early Access to Open Beta Test × ○ ○ × ○ Guilty Gear: Strive Season Pass 1 × × ○ ○ ○ Guilty Gear: Strive Digital “Soundtrack & Artworks”*** × × ○ ○ ○ Guilty Gear: Strive Ultimate Edition Special Colors × × × ○ ○
*Ultimate Edition (Physical) is PlayStation 5-only in the west.
**The Early Purchase Bonus “Guilty Gear: Strive Special Colors for Sol and Ky” changes not only the color of the characters, but also the color of their effects.
***Guilty Gear: Strive Digital “Soundtrack & Artworks” is a dedicated application for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 that allows you enjoy music from the game while checking out various artwork. All of the included music can be transferred to a storage device such as USB flash drive.
Standard Edition Deluxe Edition Release Date April 9, 2021 April 9, 2021 Suggested Retail Price $59.99 / 8,580 yen $84.99 / 11,550 yen Main Game ○ ○ Early Purchase Bonus “Guilty Gear: Strive Special Colors for Sol and Ky” ○ (until April 23, 2021) ○ (until April 23, 2021) Guilty Gear: Strive Season Pass 1 × ○
■ Guilty Gear: Strive Season Pass 1
The Guilty Gear: Strive Season Pass 1 will include the following additional content due out post-launch:
- Five additional playable characters
- Two additional battle stages
- Extra character colors (five colors each for all 20 characters)
- Extra story scenario (Another Story)
■ A Further Evolved Story Mode
Guilty Gear: Strive is the official sequel to the popular Story Mode from the Guilty Gear Xrd series. Further evolved as entertainment, the Story Mode of Guilty Gear: Strive is sure to be a hit among series fans and newcomers alike!
How to Catch Up on the Story So Far
Furthermore, videos of Story Modes from Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign to Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 will be published on YouTube. The stories of Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator and Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 will premiere in sequential order, starting with Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign Chapter 1 on October 12, Chapter 2 on October 13, Chapter 3 on October 4, and so on.
■ Open Beta Test (Console) and Location Test (Arcade)
A Guilty Gear: Strive open beta test and location test are planned. Detailed information for each, including how to participate, will be available later on.
- The open beta test is scheduled for consoles in early 2021.
- The location test is scheduled for arcades in early 2021.
Users who pre-order Guilty Gear: Strive via the PlayStation Store will be able to access the open beta test one day in advance.
Watch the latest trailers and a pair of music videos below. View a new set of screenshots at the gallery. The next trailer will premiere on January 1, 2021.
Release Date Trailer