KO_OP has announced “queer narrative adventure game” Goodbye Volcano High for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC (Steam). It will launch in 2021.
“Our company is a co-op in which all the voices matter,” said KO_OP studio director Saleem Dabbous in a press release. “The team working on Goodbye Volcano High is about ten people, all coming from diverse backgrounds. Making a queer game about a non-binary main character is hugely important to us. Partnering with PlayStation has given us the opportunity to build something of incredible production value. Everything you see in this first trailer was taken directly from the game and is playable.”
Art director Lucie Viatge added, “This type of game is definitely a first for KO_OP. We are creating a detailed and colorful art style that resembles an animated movie, with gorgeous hand-painted backgrounds and expressive characters that come together to create a game where every shot feels special. Our goal with the art is to bring you close to what the characters are experiencing, and allow their emotions to really shine through. We’ve been building an incredible team of artists for the project, and it’s been really amazing to bring our vision to life.”
Here is an overview of the game, via KO_OP:
Fang is a typical 18-year-old dinosaur: they’re more concerned about their band going viral than they are about what happens after graduation. But they’re about to have much bigger problems. Will they find time to figure themselves out? Can they balance navigating a changing world with a budding romance? During hard times, what do we owe each other? Goodbye Volcano High is a cinematic narrative adventure about the end of an era… and the beginning of a love story.
- Fully voice-acted cast featuring Lachlan Watson (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina).
- A queer narrative created by a diverse team with multiple storylines and unique endings.
- DualSense Wireless Controller haptic technology creates a new kind of storytelling experience (PS5-only).
- Cinematic and musical minigames that blend seamlessly into the narrative.
- Guide Fang through difficult choices with branching storylines.
- Hand drawn art and animations rendered in stunning 4K.
- Original soundtrack composed by Dabu (Winding Worlds, Dwarf Fortress) featuring local Montreal musician Brigitte Naggar on vocals.
Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.