The Persistence will launch digitally for PlayStation 4 non-virtual reality, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam on May 21, developer Firesprite Games announced.
A physical edition will be published by Perp Games across all three console platforms later in the summer. The release will be “as near as possible” to the digital release, while taking into account the effect of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic on global retail.
The science-fiction horror first-person shooter first launched as a PlayStation VR-exclusive title in July 2018.
“When we made the move to bring The Persistence to new platforms, our key focus was to ensure that the particularly brutal nature of gameplay made the leap to non-VR,” said Firesprite Games founder Graeme Ankers in a press release. “As a result, The Persistence keeps players on edge from beginning to end, and with a procedurally generated environment forming around them, no two playthroughs are ever identical, meaning you will never find safety in the same spot.”
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
The Persistence challenges you, a clone of security officer Zimri Elder, to survive aboard a doomed deep space colony starship, overrun with horrific and murderous aberrations. You are the last survivor. Your mission? Restore functionality to the ship and somehow make your way back to Earth.
- Death is Just the Beginning – The only thing that stands in the way of saving the starship is an array of clone printed monstrosities, constantly replenished by the ship’s malfunctioning clone printer. If any encounter with these foes proves fatal, Zimri’s consciousness is uploaded into a new host body, ready for the next attempt.
- An Ever-Changing Labyrinth – The colony starship has a self-configuring macrostructure which can alter its internal architecture – and due to the catastrophic malfunction, that’s exactly what will happen. Upon awakening in a new cloned body or on teleporting between decks, the layout of the starship will change each time. Each and every expedition into The Persistence will be unique, with different items and gear to collect and upgrade.
- Enhance, Upgrade, and Augment – The technology of the 26th century allows for genetic augmentation and manipulation of dark matter technology. Resequence Zimri’s DNA to improve health, toughness and defensive abilities or even harvest crew DNA to create cloned bodies of crewmembers to inhabit, each with their own unique abilities.
- Explore, Evade, Fight, and Gather Resources – The mutated horde won’t think twice about tearing Zimri limb from limb. Use the environment to scope out, stalk and gain the tactical advantage in either evading or attempting to take them down. Explore the decks of the ship and gather resources, weapons and suit customizations to aid survival in the journey deeper into the dark and terrifying depths.
- Asymmetric Multiplayer – Connect a phone or tablet running IOS or Android to the game for up to 2 players to take control of ‘Solex’ – the ship’s engineering system. Once connected, they will be able to take control of the ship’s systems in realtime, including abilities to lure creatures, open doors and disable any of the ship’s internal security defenses. (iOS or Android compatible device and The Persistence application required for Asymmetric Multiplayer to work. Data charges may apply.)
- VR Headset Support – Compatible with Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and WMR headsets. Features tailored control settings and comfort options for VR and non-VR play. (Motion controls are not supported).
Watch a new trailer below.