Square Enix has announced NieR Re[in]carnation for iOS and Android. It is produced by Yosuke Saito, directed by Yoko Taro, developed by Applibot, and features character design by Akihiko Yoshida (CyDesignation) and concept art by Kazuma Koda.
Update 3:15 p.m.: Producer Yosuke Saito and director Yoko Taro shared a few additional tidbits during the NieR 10th anniversary broadcast talk show.
Here are the details, via Games Talk:
- NieR Re[in]carnation‘s development code-name was “Dark.”
- Yosuke Saito:
- “I want to show everyone the actual game as soon as possible. At first glance, it doesn’t look like a smartphone title. That’s how much heart we’re putting into making this game. Almost as if we want it to be multiplatform.”
- “We don’t have to make any money from it. If we can cause a stir, then I’d be fine with that. Since it’s NieR, that’s our perspective in bringing it to the world of smartphones. I think of it as a new challenge in that sense. Even if we don’t make any money from it and I get fired, all I need to do is join Bukkoro (the company led by Yoko Taro). (Laughs.)”
- “I think we’ll be able to show it soon. The only problem is that the director [Yoko Taro] is a so good-looking.”
- Yoko Taro:
- “While this is often just used as a slogan, it really is quite new and puzzling. It’s a strangely startling type of game.”