Below, which first launched for Xbox One and PC in December 2018, is coming to PlayStation 4 this spring, developer Capybara Games announced.
The PlayStation 4 version will launch alongside a new mode called “Explore,” which will be available on all platforms. It features the following changes to Below‘s core rules:
- Reduced Survival Mechanics: No Hunger or Thirst.
- Traps, Damage, and Death: No instant kills, plus all damage depletes player Health slowly through bleeding, giving players a chance to recover.
- Permanent Bonfire Checkpoints: Checkpoints can always be returned to after death, allowing players to continue progressing deeper into the underworld.
The game’s original “Survive” mode will remain in its “pure, untouched form.”
The PlayStation 4 version of Below will be playable at PAX East 2020, which runs from February 27 to March 1 at the Boston Convention Center.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Test your adventurer mettle against The Isle’s procedural subterranean labyrinths. Explore a large, interconnected underworld crawling with cunning wildlife, deadly traps and stalked by a shadowy presence. Survive the perils of The Depths and unearth what lies below… or die trying..
Below is a procedural terrarium filled with life, mystery and death.
- Explore – Explore the vast subterranean underworld of The Isle: a dangerous, unfathomable deep. Choose your path through the randomly generated labyrinth crawling with deadly monstrosities, traps and hazardous environments. Perma-death awaits at every false step, and there are no hints to guide you…
- Survive – Spelunking through The Depths of Below is a treacherous endeavor, with death around every corner. The world is alive with flora & fauna, and there are many ways to scavenge materials and harvest ingredients to create life-saving remedies or useful survival tools…
- Discover – What lies below? Only the bravest wanderers will find out. The Depths are filled with secrets and danger. Below embraces the idea that players enjoy discovering secret areas, finding hidden passageways and unraveling the deepest mysteries hidden in the darkness…
Watch the PlayStation 4 announcement trailer below.