Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam on October 8 for $29.99 / £24.99 / €29.99, publisher Team17 and developer Playtonic Games announced.
Pre-orders include access to the exclusive “Trowzer’s Top Tonic Pack,” which is a collection of the following four exclusive cosmetic Tonics:
- Largee Head tonic: This tonic gives Laylee a comically oversized head.
- Glow Worm tonic: Yooka and Laylee glow like… well, glow worms.
- D.I.S.C.O. tonic: Turn every level into a platforming party of Playtonic proportions.
- Yooka 64: A blast from the past Tonic for fans of all things retro.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
Yooka and Laylee return for a platform hybrid adventure
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a brand-new platform adventure from some of the key creative talent behind Donkey Kong Country. With their arch-nemesis Capital B up to no good, the buddy duo needs to spring into action once again to save the day. To thwart his evil plan of using a “Hivemind” device to enslave an entire kingdom of bees, our heroes need to take the fight to Capital B’s “Impossible” Lair. Things look tough, but with the help of Queen Phoebee and her Royal Beetallion , Yooka and Laylee might just have a chance!
- 2.5D Platforming! Each level offers beautiful, rich visuals with detail and depth. Yooka, Laylee and a whole host of colorful characters (good and bad) are realized in stunning 2.5D
- 3D Overworld! The overworld isn’t just a hub to hop from level to level, it provides a whole separate gaming experience! Explore and unlock more 2D levels by completing objectives and puzzles, rescue the Royal Beetallion bees and find collectibles.
- Alternate Level States! Think you’ve got a level figured out? Try it in its alternate state! Flip switches in the overworld to create new landscapes. Hook up electricity, submerge them in water, freeze or literally flip them upside down for radically altered challenges!
- Bee-at the Impossible Lair! Players are free to tackle Capital B’s Impossible Lair at any time; however, they may find it too much of a challenge without the help of the Royal Beetallion. Free them by completing levels and they will add to your defenses when taking on Capital B’s dastardly traps!
Watch a new trailer below. View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.